Technical Dashboard blanks out on turning key - having to use jump-starter

Currently reading:
Technical Dashboard blanks out on turning key - having to use jump-starter

doink

Hello

My recently bought second hand car problem began when I inserted remote key to re-start but after turning ignition the dashboard went blank or dead a few days ago. I had to close doors manually and use jump-starter.

Today the problem is persistent, so on ignition key turning, dashboard every time goes blank / dead & jump-starter has to be used.

Usually if car battery is weak, then on starting it should make weak sound but this does not happen during ignition or at jump-starting.

So I have tried to use both remote key and non-remote key in the ignition & problem is common to both & I suppose the chip in the keys is not at fault but may be the immobilizer or transponder ring in the ignition. Could anyone please indicate what is the problem & the cost?

Side note - When I was sold this car by a business, it was odd that remote key was dead and I was told perhaps it required a battery rather than re-programming, after about 2-3 weeks delaying by business, I brought car back to the business but the main boss in the business said he was not going to deal with the problem & paid me £20 to get battery replaced. The remote key after battery install worked but I did not expect after under two months this problem.

If using jump leads or jump pack enables a start then It is not a key problem.

Very likely the vehicle battery is dead or discharged , or a problem with the battery terminals.

If using jump leads or jump pack enables a start then It is not a key problem.

Very likely the vehicle battery is dead or discharged , or a problem with the battery terminals.
That might be possible because I told the car dealer business the battery was not securely held & so the main boss put a cable tie.

The car dealer sounds clueless how to do things correctly or safely, cloth tape will not secure a battery terminal.

Please post photos what they did.

@Pugglt Auld Jock

May have something to say
Hi Jack. I'm not sure why my opinion might be of particular value but I must say this dealer's approach to his customer is appalling.

I'm assuming the jump start leads are probably being connected directly to the battery clamps? Personally I'd choose to connect the negative lead to the engine block or a similar remote earth, but in this case it's actually quite helpful if connections are being made to the battery clamps because this rules out some possibilities. I think we can be pretty sure that either the battery is flat/unserviceable or, and I think more likely from what doink is describing, the terminal clamps or battery terminals themselves are not making a good connection. I'd like to put a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals and see what voltage is available when cranking.

However, this vehicle has been very recently purchased by doink from a "business" - was it an actual garage/car dealer doink? or did you buy it from "a business" which is not motor trade related? If it's been sold to you by a motor trader then this problem is so obvious and unacceptable that they should be rectifying it at no cost to you. How long ago did you buy it? I rather suspect that a new battery might be a good starting place - especially as terminal adaptors are being suggested for the existing battery

As Jack suggests above, some pictures might help us all to make further recommendations. Anyway, good luck to you, hope it all works out. If you get nowhere with the seller and want further advice please do get back to us with some pictures if possible. Or, you might find trading standards would be interested in your troubles?

Jocks opinion is always of particular value given his breadth of experience in motor trade 😉
Thanks Jack, you're making me blush now! On the other hand, you obviously haven't seen some of the rubbish I speak about electronics! I'm on much safer ground with a large screwdriver and one pound ball pein! - Maybe sparking a wire to earth if something "electrical" needs tested, Ha ha!

Hi Jack. I'm not sure why my opinion might be of particular value but I must say this dealer's approach to his customer is appalling.

I'm assuming the jump start leads are probably being connected directly to the battery clamps? Personally I'd choose to connect the negative lead to the engine block or a similar remote earth, but in this case it's actually quite helpful if connections are being made to the battery clamps because this rules out some possibilities. I think we can be pretty sure that either the battery is flat/unserviceable or, and I think more likely from what doink is describing, the terminal clamps or battery terminals themselves are not making a good connection. I'd like to put a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals and see what voltage is available when cranking.

However, this vehicle has been very recently purchased by doink from a "business" - was it an actual garage/car dealer doink? or did you buy it from "a business" which is not motor trade related? If it's been sold to you by a motor trader then this problem is so obvious and unacceptable that they should be rectifying it at no cost to you. How long ago did you buy it? I rather suspect that a new battery might be a good starting place - especially as terminal adaptors are being suggested for the existing battery

As Jack suggests above, some pictures might help us all to make further recommendations. Anyway, good luck to you, hope it all works out. If you get nowhere with the seller and want further advice please do get back to us with some pictures if possible. Or, you might find trading standards would be interested in your troubles?
I got the car in late Apr 2023. It has worked out & the car starts. The car dealer business suggested a voltmeter but did not have one. The car dealer is motor trade business. They have said nope to swapping battery. The radio / cd won't start when battery is swapped from other car I was told. They were helpful as car starts.

Last edited:
I got the car in late Apr 2023. It has worked out & the car starts. The car dealer business suggested a voltmeter but did not have one. The car dealer is motor trade business. They have said nope to swapping battery. The radio / cd won't start when battery is swapped from other car I was told. They were helpful as car starts.
Oh dear, I despair. "The car dealer business suggested a voltmeter but did not have one. The car dealer is motor trade business" - Did not have one? What self respecting car dealer doesn't have even a cheap multimeter?

doink, where in the country are you? Don't give an exact address, just the area. Maybe, if one of the more knowledgeable forum members is local to you they could pop along, have a wee look at your problem and offer an opinion?

Oh dear, I despair. "The car dealer business suggested a voltmeter but did not have one. The car dealer is motor trade business" - Did not have one? What self respecting car dealer doesn't have even a cheap multimeter?

doink, where in the country are you? Don't give an exact address, just the area. Maybe, if one of the more knowledgeable forum members is local to you they could pop along, have a wee look at your problem and offer an opinion?
The second in command at the car dealer did not bring this tool when I visited that day. Car battery is not an issue because it has fresh starting sound. I am happy and thankful with the help given on this electronic forum because it helped the second in command at the car dealer. Thanks for offering more help though.

Back