General Dash Possibilities

Currently reading:
General Dash Possibilities

ello,

Out of interest, has anyone here removed and refitted a cinq dash? Ide like to remove mine, smooth some bits and refit painted and unsure how to go about removing it tbh.

Is it a pain in the arse or is it just like a shell with a few screws holding it in?

Also,

whats the likelyhood of a sei dash going in its place? Obviously replacing the dials and all that but would it fit and match up to the bolt holes etc? (y)

Re: Dash Possilities

whats the likelyhood of a sei dash going in its place? Obviously replacing the dials and all that but would it fit and match up to the bolt holes etc? (y)

Possible, but a load of work, wiring easy, mounting not, they arent bolt to bolt fit and you will know how crap the sei dash is for storage

Last edited:

Even when all of the bolts are undone, the dash hardly moves at all, and thats because of the wiring loom that is wrapped around the heaters blower pipes, and stops it from moving.
Also the sounds proofing material gets warmed by the hot air pipes when their on, so it becomes soft and stick's itself to the back of the dash. This material can easily be pulled off in sections and its hard to do because the dash moves so little.
You need to have your head right the passenger footwell, and with a touch shine it up to see the route of the wiring loom. In places it is also tie wrapped to the dash itself, these can be cut and replaced with new tie wraps upon re-installing the dash.
The heater's blower pipes that go to each of the side vents in the dash need to be removed, but because there is hardly any room its a right pain, and its unbelievably frustrating trying to get them out without breaking something.
Sorry don't mean to sound like the voice of doom, but although it doesn't sound particularly hard its just a real pain to do because of the wiring loom.

Oh and don't even get me started about trying to put it back in the car.

Brian - you reckon i could access where the loom goes through the bulkhead without removing the whole dash? I need to run the new ECU loom throught, but dont reall want to remove the whole dash if it can be avoided.

basically, can i undo a few bolts and move the passenger side of the dash an inch or so out.

Brian - you reckon i could access where the loom goes through the bulkhead without removing the whole dash? I need to run the new ECU loom throught, but dont reall want to remove the whole dash if it can be avoided.
basically, can i undo a few bolts and move the passenger side of the dash an inch or so out.

Arc mate, I'm not entirely sure thats possible.
The dash is pretty rigid and doesn't move very much at all, let along trying to just pull one side out a bit.

You might be better trying to feed the wiring for your new ECU through from the engine bay and then seeing if you can grab it from under the passenger footwell and do it that way. But I seem to remember where the min wiring harness comes through the bulkhead it right up behind the dash in a very awkward place :mad: .

Sorry

lol, yeah - i'm not removing that. i've always tried to keep the interior of my car looking stock. hence no buckets, stripped out rear, harnesses or silly steering wheels.

The wiring loom is attached to the dash with clips, so everything that should not move will have to be unpluged.

is there actually much difference between cinq and sei dashes?

Ones round, the others angular :p :D

Ones shocking for storage, the others pretty decent :D

The problem is the mounting based on previous threads, not the actual removal, mounting a roundish dash setup in a squarer car cant be easy

ARC

Why not run your new ecu loom through where the speedo cable goes,down the back of the sound proofing and into the ecu?

because there is enough wire over there already, the relay board is situated where the stock ECU is and i want to mount the new ECU in the passenger footwell - so i dont wanna run wires from one side of the car, just to go through the bulkhead and then back to the other side.. we're talking around 30 wires here :eek:

I'd holecutter through just below where the clutch cable goes and stick a grommit in the hole, put conduit to keep all the wires together and chafe proof (nobody enjoys chafeage!) That puts your new ecu wiring easily accessable and quite close to where the little shelf thing is which would be my choice for the ecu.
As for the sei dash into cinq, isn't the sei shell only a reskin of the cinq shell?, When you look under the bonnet of a sei the cinq headlight hoops are still there and all the battery tray and bottom half of the bulkhead look the same.
I've been wondering about this swap recently as well.
Sei rory: have you got any pictures of the bulkhead in your sei from your recent dash exploits? cos I could take some of a cinq bulkhead on sunday?

Back