General Damaged carter during oil change...

Currently reading:
General Damaged carter during oil change...

ritmaias

During oil change my garage damaged the aluminium carter bolt. Now I have a larger one with glue on it to prevent oil leak..
Is there any way to get a replacement carter for cheap?

In order to remove and to refit the existin one there is a cost for the job to be done. So im thinking if i can get a new one for a good price it could worth it.

The work is about 80€. The part 230... Does anyone know somewhere i can get a new one in the sub 200€ range?

They should be able to do a thread insert with the sump in place.
just do the work and then run 5-10 liter of cheap oil directly through the engine to clean out any debris (you do not run the engine with it) . then install new plug with a new copper gasket and good oil.

A good machine shop should be able to solve your problem without much hassle.
An other option is to cut out the thread you have now and TIG weld a new piece in ( thread included) ..... but i feel it would not be as easy to do ..+ the chance of leftover oil in the sump catching fire.

Thread insert + loctite

The thread pitch (distance between peaks of thread) is quite fine on the Bravo fitted with the aluminium sump, I'm not sure if there is a helicoil available to suit the original sump plug. There's also a sump plug thread repair kit which taps a new thread the next size up and comes with a suitably sized new plug. No need to replace the sump and as others have said the job can be done in situ at very reasonable cost. This is a standard repair operation in many garages, machine shops and motorcycle workshops, so no sweat - relax !

Al.

Thank you for your reply..
Im in search for a garage that can make the new thread with the sump in place..
Im a bit reliefed

I think it is meant as a temporary fix, but if there is adequate clearance inside, I can see people using it indefinitely. As it is difficult to remove again, it would hang when changing the oil, so a bit messy, but what a brilliant idea.

Back