Currently reading:
Technical Oil in engine bay

stolenbike

Fiat Bravo 2 1.4 90hp 2007
What could cause the oil in the engine bay? Since the last oil change (6500 km ago) I added 1l of 5w40 Motul oil, and now it is around 70-80% level.

engine1.jpg
engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

gearbox leak and valve cover gasket leak. Could you show a picture of how a thermostat hose fit? Mine fits poorly

Attachments

• IMG_20240307_153157.jpg
    IMG_20240307_153157.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 13
gearbox leak and valve cover gasket leak. Could you show a picture of how a thermostat hose fit? Mine fits poorly
Shouldn't there be some signs of weird shifting if it were gearbox oil leaking? Shifting is fine, except shifting into 2nd the first 5-10 minutes when it's cold, it goes a bit harder into 2nd.

Where should I look for the thermostat hose?

Looking at the photos doesn't really give a clear picture of losing a large amount of engine oil.
If it was me I would remove the engine covers top and bottom to get a clearer view, personally I steam clean engines etc. to get a better idea of the source of any leaks and may be look from underneath on a ramp after a road test .
However you have to be very careful not to get any on electrical stuff especially ECUs etc. Many people advise against doing this , so your choice and risk!
You haven't mentioned the miles /kilometers the car has done, smaller higher revving engines tend to use oil even after fairly low mileage.
Although there is oil stains etc. around the engine bay, unless you are getting a lot of oil on the floor where you usually park, is it possible the engine is burning it? Smokey exhaust etc. Maybe someone following your car on a small journey can comment?
I had a vehicle that used no oil around town on slow driving , but a lot more on a fast road trip, what sort of use do you do?

Looking at the photos doesn't really give a clear picture of losing a large amount of engine oil.
If it was me I would remove the engine covers top and bottom to get a clearer view, personally I steam clean engines etc. to get a better idea of the source of any leaks and may be look from underneath on a ramp after a road test .
However you have to be very careful not to get any on electrical stuff especially ECUs etc. Many people advise against doing this , so your choice and risk!
You haven't mentioned the miles /kilometers the car has done, smaller higher revving engines tend to use oil even after fairly low mileage.
Although there is oil stains etc. around the engine bay, unless you are getting a lot of oil on the floor where you usually park, is it possible the engine is burning it? Smokey exhaust etc. Maybe someone following your car on a small journey can comment?
I had a vehicle that used no oil around town on slow driving , but a lot more on a fast road trip, what sort of use do you do?
I never see any oil under the car. The only oil I saw was in the engine bay.
It has 171900km-s in it. I usually use it to commute between cities, and mostly use it on motorways with around 130km/h and 3500rpm, with a small distance of a hill climb after, so I am always in the high RPM range. I do not really use it in the city.

It is a fairly high mileage/kms for a small engine, so maybe get someone to follow you and report on the smoke from the exhaust on a run when warmed up.
Sometimes when engine idling I remove the oil filler cap and then check two things, one for the amount of "breathing" fumes /pressure coming out and secondly what it smells like. If it smells of combustion/exhaust etc. it points to engine wear, as in pistons and cylinder bore seal.
If that is the case and along with another sign, the engine oil getting dirty very soon after an oil change it is telling you the engine is worn.:(

Back