Technical CVT oil = 2L or 4L?

Currently reading:
Technical CVT oil = 2L or 4L?

After searching through some older threads on CVT oil changing I thought I'd add my experiences here.
Just drained out the CVT oil (2000, 1.2) and removed the pan and measured 3.0 litres. I don't know if the pan was fitted from the factory with sealant but the red stuff is a pain to remove both from the pan and the mating surface on the gearbox, very time consuming.
In the base of the pan is a magnet which needs a fine grey residue cleaning off.

Just finished with this job. Ended up refilling with 3.7 litres of the clear green tinted looking CVT fluid. Changed the external screw on filter and also removed the internal filter and washed it out in petrol. Fluid that came out was a red-ish brown colour.

Just finished with this job. Ended up refilling with 3.7 litres of the clear green tinted looking CVT fluid. Changed the external screw on filter and also removed the internal filter and washed it out in petrol. Fluid that came out was a red-ish brown colour.

:confused: what have you filled it with? the wrong fluid kills these boxes

After reviewing the threads I decided to drain out the NS2 and refill with NS1. I'll leave that in for a bit and see how it goes.

I think the NS2 is for later CVT transmissions - post 2005/6. The NS1 is for the earlier ones like the Speedgear.

I found this information:
The NS2 is for Nissan X-Tronic transmissions.
NS1 is for Nissan Hyper-CVT transmissions.
Nissan Matic Fluid D vehicles with electronically controlled transmissions, E-AT, full lock-up E-AT, and full-range E-AT and N-CVT of K11 March/Micra.

Have a look at this although it doesn't mention Fiat we know that the Nissan REOF21 and Fiat Punto CVT boxes are the same.

http://www.eneos.us/product/7

I have no axe to grind. I've tried both in the transmission and changed the NS2 because I felt the car didn't feel right. I could feel a very slight shudder in the car which was not there before and is not there with the NS1. I might be mistaken but that's the decision I made.

Interestingly when I drained the original oil I got 3.7 litres out and yet when I drained out the NS2 I only got 2.7 litres out. Can't think of a reason for this unless some fluke alignment of torque converter occurred the first time and not subsequently?

Interestingly when I drained the original oil I got 3.7 litres out and yet when I drained out the NS2 I only got 2.7 litres out. Can't think of a reason for this unless some fluke alignment of torque converter occurred the first time and not subsequently?

thats cuz you were filling oil on level ground and stopped when it started pouring out

Hi, Could you please guide me how to remove the internal cvt filter?.

Hi Sandaru, pretty simple job really. You need to drain out the gearbox fluid and then remove the oil pan. It's held on with about 20 small bolts. There's also a small pipe attachment at the front of the pan that needs to be unbolted, obvious when you have a look. Once you pull the pan off you'll see the oil filter attached to the bottom of the valve body with 3 bolts. Remove these and pull the filter away carefully. You'll notice some resistance as there is a rubber O ring gripping the filter feed pipe. You can replace the filter (it's a metal oblong shaped thing about the size of a pack of cigarettes). I wasn't able to get a replacement so I just washed it out in some petrol. The filter bit is just a fine metal mesh screen inside the filter housing.
When you fit it all back together be very careful not to get any dirt or grit inside the gearbox. You'll also need to carefully clean off all the original red gasket sealant and make sure none of that gets into the gearbox. I used a cork gasket and no liquid sealant when I did this job.
My recommendation however would be to just drain the old fluid and replace the external canister filter and don't bother with this exercise unless there's something worrying you about the way the gearbox is operating. An oil change (Nissan NS1 or the Fiat stuff) and new external filter will be adequate for a service. The danger of introducing dirt/grit/old sealant into the inner workings of the box is too high especially if you're working in less than ideal conditions, in my opinion. Good luck.

Back