Cutting out a restrictor

Currently reading:
Cutting out a restrictor

1- open your bonnet and have a loot at the rite side of the grill on the top

under my finger is the plastic bit, you have to look from the engine bay outwards to see it
2- you notice the circle where the air goes into
3- you notice in-front of the circle whole you see a plastic plate, easiest way to see this is to look through the grill to find the circle BUT you wont be able to as there is that plastic plate there.
4- buy using a pair of snips and a small hack saw or anything you can cut it out.

5- buy looking through your grill you will notice the hole you have just made and then there was no restrictor.

Sorry for the guide being rubbish but its always the simplest things that give you more power.

This has only been done on my JTD and not sure if it can be done on a petrol version.

Last edited:
well i done mine a while ago. like a year i think. i only came across it whilst fiddling with my grill and i broke it so had to pull it off and fix it.

AND BINGO there it was.

so as i have done similar things to my other cars i noticed that it can be done again.

think of it like this, air has to go over the plastic bit it to get into the air box - take the plastic bit out and it is direct air no going over anything just straight in

it gives you more power as it will equal out the air and fuel mix

hope this helps.

plus it wont take long to do.
thought people knew about this plastic thing as i have brought it up before but obviously no one has done it yet and noticed it is a free mod for more power and works exactly like a cone air filter just without the stupid bomp bomp noise haha

cant wait to hear peoples response and how you get on.

any question just ask as i have had so much help with people on here and would like to return the favour

Fiat do it as it is not noticeable to people, and will not let much air in so will keep the power down.

just cut it out as you do not need it and will give you more power

well there is a difference as there is more air going into it. more air = more fuel = more power.
but as i can see buy looking on the net even though you have the rite mix and the power there, it cannot be used fully as it needs to go somewhere ie, will need need a aftermarket exhaust to get the full power.
but also sais you get the power increase but you would get alot more with a non restricted exhaust.

well i havent and im still going strong ha ha ha

i too have opened up the front of the air inlet. there will not be a problem with standing water as it is about 600mm above the ground. you will not get a problem with water as it is only the same as a ram air system found on a lot of motorbikes.

The remap will allow the turbo to spool up earlier than a tuning box. This means that the power delivery isn't as savage as a tuning box giving the clutch and DMF an easier time.

With regards to emissions and MOT i have a remap, decat/DPF removed and a straight through exhaust. Passed no problems.

Last edited:
Rattystilo does your exhaust make a noise like a petrol car or is it quieter?
What is a dpf?
That is the plan next for mine is a de cat, but not sure if it will be a good idea? Mechanic said it's the best thing you can do to a diesel for more power but after hearing about emission problems and engine light flashing in the dash then I'm not sure?
What do you all think?

I've been out this morning with the intention of cutting out that small peice of plastic but I have a question before I do.

The hole the air is sucked in through is positioned under the bonnet so it must be sucking in warm air from the engine bay. Warm air is bad, hence having an intercooler fitted. So would it make more sense to block off the hole under the bonnet to prevent the warm air being sucked in? Alter it completely so it can only suck in cold air through the grill?

Edit.
Isnt this what induction kits do, allow more cool air into the engine?

Last edited:
I suspect that as you're driving, the ram air effect would prevent any warm air from under the bonnet entering the induction pipe.

Also, I think the air inlet pipe is in front of a rubber strip that seals the bonnet to the slam panel.

Last edited:
I suspect that as you're driving, the ram air effect would prevent any warm air from under the bonnet entering the induction pipe.

Also, I think the aiir inlet pipe is in front of the rubber strip that seals the bonnet to the slam panel.

I've just taken another look(and a couple of photo's) it is in front of the rubber seal but it still seems like an odd place to have the intake.
Diesels suck in 3 or 4 times more air than a petrol so I'd expect the intake to be as unencumbered as possible. This deffinately isn't, it looks like the actual bonnet has airways in it too? Surely direct to atmosphere is best?

The last photo(bottom right) shows how small the gap is even with the bonnet released. Air must be passing through the slots in the actual bonnet, why would Fiat do that?

Attachments

• Image0078.jpg
    Image0078.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Image0080.jpg
    Image0080.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Image0081.jpg
    Image0081.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • Image0079.jpg
    Image0079.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
In theory you are correct. But a lot of air filter cones just go close to the grill to suck in air so they would still get warm air inn.
But I must say I didn't think of that. I have some hoses lying in the shed and will give it a go but the dimension and the shape on the oval pipe buy the grill is an awkward one.
I think to do a propa job you would have to change the whole pipe to re position it.

I will give it a go, I will try placing roughly the same size pipe into the oval shape pipe and push it in tight and get it really close to the grill and will let you know.

But in theory it should work better if it was only getting cold air, am I correct by saying that??????

The cooler the air going into the turbo the cooler the air will be coming out of the turbo.

Cool air is more dense than warm air so more power is produced.

I'm wondering why Fiat made it the way it is instead of direct to atmosphere where it would always be able to take in the coolest air?

yes.

a cheap often over looked mod is cutting bits out of the rubber between bonnet and bulk head, to get hot air our from under the bonnet

Thats something I was thinking about when the large plastic under tray thing fell off the bottom of our car. After I'd moved the Boost Control Valve there was nothing down there that need protecting any more so I left it off to allow warm air out of the engine bay.
Air now passes through the radiator into the engine bay, then straight down and out under the car.

Last edited:
Back