Technical Coupe engine replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Coupe engine replacement

NottinghamLad

I have a year 2000, 20 valve 2.0 fiat coupe. The engine needs replacing. I've located a good one on one of the parts websites and agreed a great price, £250! but am being quoted £1500 - £1750 by my local garage to fit it. Does anyone know if I can get this done any cheaper n the East Midlands. Thanks.

a like for like replacement usually costs £150-200 at an independant garage. its not a difficult or time consuming job.

i dont know where they got the £1500 - £1750 price, maybe they've been smoking crack?

juston6430 said:
£150 - £200, I think you' re the one on crack mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

£150-200 is ridiculous no one will do it for that,

3 different garages have charged me less than £200, 5 times since 99, £170 is the usual price. a like for like engine swap is a very easy job, only real cost is labour, approx 4-6 hours worth.

why exacty do you all think it should cost so much? are you adding a few hundred for the 3 litres of coolant and half a dozen hose clips? must be mighty fine hose clips!

Last edited:
3 different garages have charged me less than £200, 5 times since 99, £170 is the usual price. a like for like engine swap is a very easy job, only real cost is labour, approx 4-6 hours worth.

why exacty do you all think it should cost so much? are you adding a few hundred for the 3 litres of coolant and half a dozen hose clips? must be mighty fine hose clips!

Well when you actually have the engine swap done can you let us all know what it cost and where you got it done??? It is a time consuming job, even for the most experienced of mechanics.Its not a 1litre panda! and you will definately find it needs other parts replacing when doing the changover, unless you are just gonna have it bodged!

Back