General Could my car be written off?

Currently reading:
General Could my car be written off?

Hey again.
I've just been rang by the company who are supposed to be assessing the car and providing my a courtesy car, and apparently they have no courtesy cars left to give me. I am quite angry and i need a car for tomorrow. I've rang up the 3rd parties insurance company but they keep passing my on to Motorcare, who are not answering. Any advice on what to do? I need a car.

Many thanks

Well i rang them, fuming, telling them i need a courtesy car and told them i would rent a car and send them the invoice. I got put through to the managing director of the company and suddenly they magically grasped one out of thin air and told me it would be ready first thing tomorrow morning.
Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it. Still waiting for my car to be assessed though.
Another question, what sort of courtesy cars do you get in place of a Punto? I hope to god its not a Ford Ka.

lol most likely a corsa, always no older than 2yrs though! good having a newish car! Although be careful. last one we had went through petrol like no tomorrow! put tenner in it and did 20 mile i think n was empty again

lol most likely a corsa, always no older than 2yrs though! good having a newish car! Although be careful. last one we had went through petrol like no tomorrow! put tenner in it and did 20 mile i think n was empty again
Hahaha, thanks for all the advice today mate. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how my car gets on.

And they will actually pay for it?

:yeahthat:

yes, u add it onto yor claim as one of your expenses, they have no choice

:yeahthat:

lol. Well a courtesy car is there to be ragged :p

You ought to be like me and charge them for the difference in fuel usage :devil:

They should give you a car suitable for your needs.

When I got 3rd partied (taken out by another driver) I got a call from Helphire. They asked if the standard Fiesta/Corsa was good enough as replacement for my Ibiza. I told them since theirs would be a 1.2 it was not. Ok they said.. we'll get you a 1.8 Focus. Next day a lorry arrived with a Focus on the back. 400 miles on the clock.

Was a sad day when the cheque cleared and I had to leave the keys in the boot.

Was a sad day when the cheque cleared and I had to leave the keys in the boot.

What car ws it :confused:

nows your time to drive that dream car youve always wanted to. You know the ferrari or that lamborghini, theres a shop in town that rent them out :D

BMW driver I hit has tried that with a £515 a day porche. 25 days he had it (£12,875). My insuance company only paid out for 3 days worth as thats all he was entitled to as he should only have had it when he car was on for repair. Oh he was roar with having to sort out the bill with the BMW garage for the remaining £11330 :devil:

Shouldn't have been such a gready sod (and BMW garage were to blame :p)

They gave me a brand new Ford Fiesta with only 1000miles on the clock. It's amazing! The acceleration is so much better than in my Punto.
But i hope i have it for a few weeks =D

Hi Guys
If the other driver has admitted liability then you're laughing. If you also have witnesses then it's as good as money in the bank.

Unfortunately everyone appears to be missing the most important aspect of this case..... THE LAW.
Everyone's banging on about E-bay... spare part... write offs.... courtesy cars etc but there are a couple of important principles involved that answer all of the questions.

1. It is a legal principle that you have the right to be re-instated to exact same position you were in immediately prior to the accident.

So..... forget about E-bay and selling bits to make up your money.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST YOU TO REPLACE YOUR CAR... LIKE FOR LIKE?
It doesn't have to be exactly the same manufacturer but something similar in performance/condition/mileage as your "write off".
Obviously it is easier if you can demonstrate several exact same make/model for sale (motortrader) to show the cost of replacement.

i.e.
My old Bluebird was written off and I was offered £650.
I found that I could not replace it for less than £1500.
I refused the offer.
They upped it to £750 + keep the scrapper.
I still refused.
They wouldn’t settle and I took the OTHER DRIVER to court for the full amount.
I won (with costs) and came out with £2700 + scrapper!!

The insurance company will always offer bottom book as they have a duty to their shareholders to get the best deal.... and 99.9% of the time they do because the majority of us accept what we are offered.

2. You are not entitled to benefit from 'betterment'.
So.... although you should not be out of pocket by one penny because of the accident... neither should you be any better off.
You can hire a car but ensure it is very similar to your original model/performance etc.
See the BMW / Porsche post earlier..... what a plonker!!

The ABI (Association of British Insurers) guidelines say that all insurance companies have to provide a courtesy car.
Confusion arises when you forget that you are claiming against YOUR insurance policy!!
Your insurance company might limit the time you're entitled to a courtesy car depending on whether you are at fault or not.
Also YOUR insurance company is settling the claim and trying to get it back from the other (3rd party) insurance. IF THEY FAIL TO DO SO FOR ANY REASON.... IT'S ON YOUR INSURANCE THAT YOU'VE MADE YOUR CLAIM. Bang goes your NCB!!

Should your courtesy car privilege run out before you settle you're entitled to hire a car until such times as the case is settled. Remember... "Like for Like"... no Porsches!!

3. Uninsured losses....

If you are claiming against your insurance then they will not pay out for your uninsured losses.... excess? travel expenses because your car is off the road and before the courtesy car arrived? NCB being suspended until settled? Costs?

Those uninsured losses have to be recovered from the other side..... or..... if you are claiming directly from the other side's insurance make sure you include them in your overall claim.

IF YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY INSISTS THAT YOU SETTLE FOR A PARTICULAR SUM YOU ARE ENTITLED TO WITHDRAW YOUR CLAIM AGAINST YOUR OWN INSURANCE POLICY AND PURSUE THE OTHER PARTY THROUGH THE SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

Remember you are claiming from the other DRIVER not the insurance company..... they are only middlemen.
If the insurance companies do not want to play ball ask for the other driver's details and take him to court.... the insurance company will jump in and represent him.... BUT.... Take him to court.... NOT the insurance company.

Hope this helps..... don't let them screw you!

Back