coolant issues

Currently reading:
coolant issues

kiefer2011

looking to buy a fiat punto elx 85 16v 1.25 on 98 reg off ebay, going to have a look at it tonight but heres some info from the advert to do with the coolant problem, if anyones got any ideas let me know (y)

What could be the most annoying problems of all - the cooling system has started to fail in the last three weeks. I cannot tell you the reason for sure. It does work, but not always. Cooling liquid seems to disappear somewhere, BUT (!!!) not while you are parked, because there are no leaks under the car even after the car has been left at the same place for several days. As you drive the car daily in some 2 weeks it needs topping up about 1-2L of coolant, otherwise it begins to overheat while driving in the city when liquid level gets low (I haven't seen it overheating on highways).

plus the oil hasnt been changed for over a year.

the only idea iv got at the moment is head gasket? well hoping its just the gasket anyways.

Yup... probable Head Gasket, I'd leave it alone & find a model that has been well looked after TBH.

Yup... probable Head Gasket, I'd leave it alone & find a model that has been well looked after TBH.

thought as much, obly buying it as a run around till my projects sorted, plus its fairly cheap and taxed and tested so if its only head gasket il pick it up, cheers for clarifying my thoughts about it being head ghasket tho cheers.

It could be a water leak that is only present when the system is pressurised which doesn't show up at standstill. There is usually a mayonnaise type gunk under the oil filler cap but not always.

Hope is good for your short term ownership, the 16valver is a harder fix proposition than the 8valver & needs the right cam locking tools, just a tooth or two out will give running problems, the old Tippex method isnt recommended, plus if you do the head dont forget to have it skimmed & use new bolts.

Last edited:
I've just noticed a creamy brown gunk under my oil filler cap - what does that usually signify? Hopefully not head gasket - that was only done last year. Touch wood - no smoke from exhaust, I don't lose coolant every time after a journey and no misfire either.

Actually, the coolant side of things is right weird - sometimes the level drops after a journey (hissing from the exp tank filler cap when engine hot) other times the level rises - when engine cold! What's going on there?

Replace the filler cap, but excessive cooling system pressure is VERY likely the head gasket.

Top it up bleed the system top up again and take it for a long run to evaporate all the moisture from the engine. Take water with you and screwdriver (to bleed it) in case the head gasket has failed.

Last edited:
Back