General Code 2 key

Currently reading:
General Code 2 key

Has anyone had a new key cut without buggering up the key codes or the immobilisor, etc?

My key is getting a bit ropey so I was thinking about getting a duplicate made.

Stilo key (or mine, at least) is a Code 2 jobbie, so the new key could be cloned (unless that means something else, in keys-speak) from that one, as long as both keys would then work and the locksmith/process doesn't result in my immobilisor being permanently disabled (which seems to be what some "solutions" actually entail.

Anyone know of a service near Newport?

Ta,

Ralf S.

If it's just a new key you want cut, then you could buy a blank key blade, which most locksmiths could copy your old one to. You wouldn't need to recode or reprogram anything.

If buying a blank key blade, there are 2 different types, as in the pictures below. Also, most blank key blades sold on eBay are made of steel, which some locksmiths refuse to cut because it damages their cutter tool. You would need one made of brass.

Attachments

• Key Blades 1.jpg
    Key Blades 1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Key Blades 2.JPG
    Key Blades 2.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 14
I'm after a whole new key, with the electronics on board.

I only have the one key, so ideally I'd keep it as a spare and use the new one.

Ralf S.

Sounds like you want to do something similar to what I've done with my spare (non-remote control) key - I upgraded that to a remote key.

Of course if you don't have the spare key at all then you will need to get an entirely new one cut, yes.

You can use a second hand key off eBay for the electronics and immobiliser chip but they'll need programming to the car and a new blade fitting to match your current car.

If you buy a second hand key off eBay you can buy new key shells dirt cheap to give it a tidy up and make it feel like new.

Might be worth talking to a few key cutters round your way to see if they can provide a new blade or if they'll be happy to cut a steel one you source.

Back