Technical clutch problem

Currently reading:
Technical clutch problem

ingoberger

Clutch pedal stays down.
This happens when traveling for long period of time without need to change gear.
Then, when I need to change gear, the clutch pedal stays down.
I try to pump the clutch pedal until it comes back up again. this problem then continues until I stop and switch off engine. After restart - it will be working ok for long time until driving long distance without changing gears - then it starts again - clutch pedal wont come up.

It seems strange that this does not happen when driving trough town when frequent stop go and changing gear. Only when driving long distance.

Any suggestion what the problem might be??

thanks for reply.

Fiat Ducato 250, year 2013, 20500km

clutch stays down when pushing clutch to change gear.
happens only when traveling after 45 minutes, when long distance.
Driving through town - stop -go and changing gears frequently - then no problem.

Break fluid reservoir is full, colour is clear and no fluid leaks.

I appreciate your interest and look forward to reply.

Clutch pedal stays down.
This happens when traveling for long period of time without need to change gear.
Then, when I need to change gear, the clutch pedal stays down.
I try to pump the clutch pedal until it comes back up again. this problem then continues until I stop and switch off engine. After restart - it will be working ok for long time until driving long distance without changing gears - then it starts again - clutch pedal wont come up.

It seems strange that this does not happen when driving trough town when frequent stop go and changing gear. Only when driving long distance.

Any suggestion what the problem might be??

My guess is that it is heat related whilst at cruising speed. Perhaps there is air in the fluid or a problem with the slave cylinder? Have you tried bleeding it? I had a similar problem on a 2015 X250 where the clutch pedal sunk to the floor. I had to hand pump the pedal about 50 times and then a further 200 or so with my foot. The pressure returned and it was ok thereafter.

yes, thank you.

my problem is similar.
I will bleed the system and replace with new fluid.
Then I will test drive and let you know about result.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Thank you Rayc.
I will not be replacing the fluid by myself.
I will have it done by a FIAT workshop, within the next few days.
Will let you know once it's done, and if it solved the problem

Thank you Rayc.

I would strongly suspect that the fluid is seeping past the seals in the slave cylinder this would cause the symptoms you have described

Last edited:
Thank you Rayc.

I would strongly suspect that the fluid is seeping past the seals in the slave cylinder this would cause the symptoms you have described,

Last edited:
Clutch pedal stays down.

I had this problem in October this year in Spain Slave cylinder went /passing look for fluid under the bell housing or signs of any slight leak . if there is any the slave cylinder could be on the way out .
Gear box had to come out to replace as slave cylinder is inside the bell housing . We were without the van for a week and €500 to fix .
My van is 2012 130 56k in the clock when it happened done 5k since no problem.
Mike

Last edited:
yes, thank you.

my problem is similar.
I will bleed the system and replace with new fluid.
Then I will test drive and let you know about result.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

I flushed the break / Clutch system with the highest grade clutch fluid. There was an improvement during the next 1000km driving. Then flushed completely again and replaced with highest possible grade clutch fluid. I never had that clutch problem again 10,000km+

Back