Technical Clutch pedel adjustment

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch pedel adjustment

My ducato 1.9td's clutch bites as soon as I raise my foot up from the floor on the clutch pedel, is it possible to alter this, as I have to force my foot hard against the floor.

You have not stated the year or model number of your van so, as I've never owned a 1.9, can only give a general reply.

If your van has a clutch cable then this will have adjustment at one end, usually by nuts on a threaded sleeve. The recommendation is to adjust the clutch pedal to be level with the brake pedal when both are at rest.

If this doesn't improve the clutch action then the driven plate may be worn down.

If the clutch is hydraulic it is worth bleeding the slave cylinder as any air in the fluid will reduce pedal travel but if this doesn't work it may again be down to wear in the clutch plate.

Sorry for not giving enough info, it is a 1.9td Ducato 10 td short wheelbase, Engine code 230 A4.000 with a 5 gear manual box, The vehicle model is an Autocruise Starfire. oh and it is cable cluch pedal and is level with the brake pedal, the gearbox was rebuilt with new type gear sets in 2014.
I hope this info will help.

Thanks for the additional info; as you have confirmed a x230 has a clutch cable and from what you say the cable is correctly adjusted.

I had a 1989 Talbot and as I remember the clutch had become heavy and the biting point was also very close to the floor. I'd read that the only cure was to change the clutch plate and thrust bearing so did this (and it's a job that I will never undertake again!) but it made little difference to the feel of the clutch.

In view of this I'd suggest putting up with it unless the clutch starts to slip. I suppose changing the cable is a relatively easy job and might make the pedal lighter but won't alter the biting point.

Thanks for your answer, I will have to learn to live with it, I may look into the thickness of the rubber matting and the carpet that is under the pedal, reducing this may give a longer pedal stroke, and msy help in a better gear change.

Back