Technical Clutch issue- bit of advice needed

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch issue- bit of advice needed

mrHammy

Evening people . Ive had a search about already and found a few things that may help me , but just wanted some up to date info .

Problem : Driving down the motorway today in 5th doing around 60mph , i placed my foot on the clutch pedal to find it just fully depressed with hardly no pressure and basically felt like it was just really loose. so i was stuck in 5th gear , managed to pull over and turner engine and stalled at roadside. on restarting the stilo there seemed to be a bit off presure in the clutch again and was only loose to about 50% dipped. then then slowly went back to normal so could change gears again, drove of and took it back upto 60 and the same happened again ?? made it home and its sat outside no back to normal.

Any thoughts ? :confused:

If it's the same as my JTD then the hydraulic clutch shares the same reservoir with your brakes - check to see how full it is.

Cheers people, that what my thought was on it , so fingers crossed once ive had a good luck tomorrow it should be simple !! (y)

If it's the same as my JTD then the hydraulic clutch shares the same reservoir with your brakes - check to see how full it is.

infact , on that one, could that put my breaks at risk ? :confused:

Ok , so ive checked the car out, no probs with fluid levels so called out aa , the clutch was still 'flappy' at this point so but he couldnt find out why so took it to garage who had a good look at it , they say there is no problem at all ??

all seems fine now with clutch as the stiffness has come back , but worried there could still be somthing wrong

any thoughts?

Hi,
I'm currently having the same sort of problem with my clutch as well. There seems to be no loss of fluid or noticable leak, however whenever I drive a distance at speed the clutch goes loose.

When I stop I can pump the clutch back up again and it will be fine until I get on the A roads again.

What I did find is that if I keep my foot on the clutch, with it just off the bite point. Then I can still disengage the gears when I need to, however I'm worried I'll damage the clutch / gearbox if I continue to do this.

I've bled the system once, which obviously hasn't worked, and will try it again tomorrow. If it sorts it out I'll let you know as it's a very easy process.

sounds the same as me then ! any chance could let us know how to bleed ?

cheers

Have a look in the Stilo Guides up above
Sounds like slave cylinder problems if you're not losing fluid. The clutch pedal is pushed back up purely by hydraulics so bleeding the clutch or replacing the fluid if its getting old might be a cheap first step

What happens if you put your toes underneath and drag the pedal up?

Last edited:
cheers, i can pull it back up with my foot , and it will stay up , but can easliy be pressed back down with no pressure applied . and it would stay down again

Been out in the stilo this morning , done about 15 miles with motorway driving and it seemed fine :confused:

got a feeling this will be one that will keep popping up everynow and again !

Hi all.
Don’t know if this applies to stilo but had a similar problem on another car turned out to be the vent in the hydraulic filler cap was blocked.
Apart from that I ‘m with deckchair I would bleed the system through completely, it does sound like fluid contamination.
You can get an easy bleed kit from the car shop makes it all very easy, it just hooks onto your spare wheel for pressure then all you do is run round opening the bleed nipples and closing them again, instructions come with the kit.
Good luck

I had exactly the same fault with my Stilo but not a 1.8. It was caused by a leaking slave cylinder, but 'cos it was an internal type couldn't actually see it. I placed a clean cardboard sheet under the car for a few days and there was fluid from the bottom of the gearbox bell housing leaking down.

I can't remember what type slave the 1.8 has though ?

back again with this one, i finally got round to lifting the bonnet, and could i find the bleed nipple ect. , could i heck . i take it the guide on here if specific to the 1.6 ?

Were excatly should i be looking ?

Thanks

Each clutch and gearbox type is different in the Stilo range

Slave types.JPG
There's either an external or internal slave cylinder.

Seems like you have one of the internal ones

slave 1.8.JPG
Look for something like this or simply follow the hydraulic line down from the master cylinder to the clutch and you'll find it soon enough. Unfortnately with internal types it's more difficult to detect a leak and much more expensive to change

big thanks sir ! 9and to all others who have posted, found it , it was as the second diagram shows.

Pain in backside to take the clip out, but have drained a bit off and took the stilo down the m62 , did find that the pedal went slighty for a few mins but did seem to go back 'stiff' again

fingers crossed whilst i use it for work next week (y)

Ah! You just withdraw the clip up a bit as it shows in the diagram in order to pull back the hose connector a fraction, just enough to allow fluid to pass through the bleed nipple. Never mind, you'll know for next time. Hope not but I fear you will be in that area again as it sounds like a slave cylinder problem

Ah! You just withdraw the clip up a bit as it shows in the diagram in order to pull back the hose connector a fraction, just enough to allow fluid to pass through the bleed nipple. Never mind, you'll know for next time. Hope not but I fear you will be in that area again as it sounds like a slave cylinder problem

the clip was upside down to the diagram so had to pull it from underneath , thats what made it so hard.

Anyway went back out in it today did lose clutch for a few seconds, looks like its going to have to go back in , just a pain as they were adamant there was nothing wrong last time :bang:

Back