General cheap vehicle tracker in UK

Currently reading:
General cheap vehicle tracker in UK

littlephil

just pulled this off one of the scooter forums i attend

now that I actually have a car worth owning I have come to the conclusion that were it ever stolen I would want to increase the odds of finding it again. With that in mind I came across a way of making a tracker for an outlay of about 20 quid at the most.

What you need.

1) an old mobile phone - I have an old Nokia 3310 but anything would do so long as it still works.

2) a SIM card. Vodaphone are supposed to offer the greatest accuracy when it comes to tracking although T-mobile and Orange are pretty close behind.

3) you need to register with a tracking company but £11.99 buys you a 20-track bundle with www.followus.co.uk so you can even test it out a couple of times and still have enough tracks to actually find your car if the worst ever happens.

4) an old 12 volt phone charger. Remove the cigarette lighter adaptor and hard wire it into your cars electrics. Even if your car battery is disconnected the phone will still work for a few days. Long enough to find the car anyway.

5) make sure you turn off all the alerts, tones, ringers etc. Then hide the phone somewhere under the dash or trim. Just make sure it still picks up a signal.

Thats it - job done - simple!

In the UK the tracker will be able to pinpoint your car to within 50 metres in cities of 250 metres in the countryside.

think i'll be digging out that old 3310 i've got :)

That exact same thing was covered in Practical Performance Car this month. It wasn't a great success but I suppose it is not bad for the price.

Back