General Newbie in NZ

Currently reading:
General Newbie in NZ

MikeQ

Hi from a newbie in New Zealand.
I have just bought a 1978 X1/9 with a tipo 1600 engine and twin downdraft webers. It all seems to be there, its pretty straight and I have only found one spot of rust, so far so good.
First question.... the original 1300 engine cover is too low for the air cleaner box on the 1600 by about 25 mm. Would a 1500 engine cover have more height and so fit better over the air cleaner box?
Second question...should I keep the twin downdraft webers? My guy feeling when I first bought the car was to change to a single carbie that might fit under the hood better, be easier to tune for an amateur, and the car would still have plenty of pep with the 1600 tipo engine. I'm 67 and not a boy racer. So keep the webers or simplify?
Thanks

I should add that it is a project car, a lot of it is in boxes and it doesn't run. It appears that the PO has lost his way in timing the cam.
fiatx19.jpg

Short answer is yes the 1500 engine cover has way more room. Twin 40s are awesome, sound great with a pair of k&n air filters but are notoriously difficult to keep in tune and you need some one with old school knowledge to work on them. I know coz I have some!

Back