Technical CEL with Overheat Message showed up briefly

Currently reading:
Technical CEL with Overheat Message showed up briefly

gunemalli

So the punto was repaired yesterday and it was sitting idly for a long time (8 months by the side, 4 months for repairs).

Yesterday night did a long drive to bring it home (120km, 3hr ride). After about 2hrs into the journey, the CEL came on and then the coolant temp guage went all the way to overheat within a few seconds, displayed a warning message about coolant temps. all of these things happend in a span of 3-5s.

After which everything went back to normal, temp guage was at 25% mark all the way till I got home.

Is there anything that I should be concerned about? I checked all the hoses and everything looks OK.

When the temperature gauge rose to overheat, were you still driving at a good speed, or maybe stopped in traffic?

Sometimes if the cooling fan on the radiator is faulty, the car will stay cool when on the open road and with wind blowing through the front grille, but when stopped in traffic for a period, the car temperature can rise up if the fan is not working

Hey,

I was driving, say 50-60km/h, closer to 11pm in the night and no traffic in front of me.

I did have a radiator fan failure and had the fan replaced over a year ago :)

My Punto did something similar a few months ago while I was driving temp shot up to full message flashed up then it went back to normal and then the next few days we had some frost at it struggled to start in the morning, as soon as you turn the key it thought the temp was about 25% when stone cold. I changed the coolant temp sensor was about £8 from euro car parts (with a discount code they always have them) and its been ok ever since. When mine is running normal btw the temp reading is about 50%

Back