General Carribean Orange Paint

Currently reading:
General Carribean Orange Paint

Just wondering...was there a problem with the carribean orange paint (apart from the fact I know it's not to everyone's taste)....the reason I ask is....I was looking at a carribean orange GP in a main dealers forecourt, and noticed that the front bumper looked a very slightly deeper coloured orange to the bonnet when viewed from the front of the car.
I was desperate for an orange GP, so when another one turned up which took caught my eye a little more than the previous one, I had to go for it, I have noticed the same thing with THIS car too....look at it from the front and the bumper is very very slightly darker, but view the car from the side, and the bumper matches the front wing, etc....very strange.
So does anyone know if the paint was prone to fading on the bonnet where it would get a lot of full sun...or would it point to the fact it's maybe had a new front bumper put on it....which DOES seem a co-incidence that the only two cars I have seen the same have BOTH had new bumper put on them, if thats the case.
Anyone else noticed colour inconsistencies, or is it just me?

I have red and have noticed that all the plastic is now different to rest of the car. Some angles you can't notice it but it is getting worse.
Annoying as I bought the car new 2 yrs ago and keep it garaged and wash and wax it with quality products.
I put a warranty claim in but was told paint fade is normal. Currently gone to the media here (also have a warranty dispute with Audi) but have been told that the Australian importer doesn't like honouring warranty issues.

Last edited:
I've never got a chance to have a proper look at a Caribbean orange GP, but usually when the paint fades, I believe it's usually the bumpers that go lighter than the rest, since they're plastic and more prone to fading, not 100% sure though.

Even so, unless you buy off someone who garaged the car all day and used it to commute to work at night, you're probably going to get one with faded paint. If it bothered you that much you could get it resprayed and then make sure you apply the proper protection to reduce future fade.

no, it fine....

colours fade in the sun, and they fade in order of the spectrum

red - fades most
orange
yellow
green
blue
indigo
violet - fades least
Just depends on what part of the car was facing the sun more, my car has been garaged most of the time so it hasn't faded too badly. my tattoos tho... they didn't hold up so well!

Last edited:
Plastic parts are almost always a tiny bit different to metal parts, even when the car first rolls out of the factory.some brands are better than others, kia are particularly bad. I guess it comes down to the quality of the paint and the number of coats used. I don't think there is anything wrong with the cars you describe, they are just fiats.

Part of it is fading and part of it is because you are comparing a plastic bumper to a metal bonnet and wing. In some lights you will see the slight difference that you will get in colour. Its unavoidable.

I've got a Caribbean Orange GP and it has faded a lot. The red pigment in the paint goes off because of the sun and it gets steadily lighter orange, Have to be careful if ever getting any paintwork done as if they mix the proper colour it will look ridiculous. Obviously those that have been garaged won't have this problem so markedly.

I had my front drivers side wing painted 18 months ago, it looked great at the time, but you should see it now, it looks absolutly ****e, you can see where he has blended it in and what the colour should be compared to what it has now faded into.

I quite like the colour its faded into though. mine is booked in the body shop next month to have a good tidy up and match

My Orange GP has faded at the rear, obviously this has received maximum UV exposure.

However I have found that If I keep my car nice and clean, and is waxed using a good quality wax regularly, this minimises the visual impact of any faded areas.

It's a flat (i.e. non-metallic) colour, it will therefore eventually fade. My red Sporting GP has faded badly on the door handles and the two short spars on top of the roof (it has a sunroof), no matter how often I wash and wax it, it still faded. Guess we all have to live with it...

well that's cool then...I was hoping it had faded differently on the bonnet, being a large metal expanse often getting full sun on it, rather than the thought of it having been in an accident...every cloud has a silver lining...lol

Back