Seicento car wont start since replacing snapped fan belt

Currently reading:
Seicento car wont start since replacing snapped fan belt

big jase

Hi all
I am new to this but hope you can help me.
I replaced the fan belt last weekend after the old one snapping and since then the car is really struggling to start.
I have checked everything
plugs
h t leads
battery is fine
fuel fine
anyone got any ideas
any advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers big jase

Did it stop when the belt snapped? Or did you stop gently after the red light came on?

What engine/year is it?
A breaking belt can damage cambelt timing, if its a 1.1 and the broken belt gets caught up.
It could also kill the crank sensor, or its wiring, if one is fitted.

If you stopped quite violently, check the cut-off switch, under centre console I think, see the handbook. This little device cuts the fuel pump in case of collision, but can pop with a violent stop.

Check around belt area, try to picture its route as it flew off, and see if anything, especially wiring, is damaged, both above and below the belt.

Assuming 1108 and assuming you took the alternator pulley off to replace the belt, then it's simple: you replaced the pulley wrongly.

Take it off and hold it to the light and you'll see the big hole in the middle, the three bolt holes, and a hole about 1/16". This little hole is supposed to line up with a tiny pip on the cam belt pulley when re-assembled (the pip may be flattened now, but you can still line it up),

Thing is that if that pip is in the wrong place, the ignition timing, which is set by the alternator pulley (or rather the two missing peaks in the circumference) will be miles out, so the car will never run,

Failing that (or 899) check for fuel past the injector(s) -- (wet, petrol smelling plugs) and spark at plugs when cranked. If neither TDC sensor.

Last edited:
it didn't snap it shredded and It carried on running..w3asnt until I stopped to see what was wrong that I realised the belt was almost off just a couple of strands holding it together but it had come off the alternator.
was outer belt that snapped and it turns over but wont fire up but then randomly does fire up and start
its a 1.0
Thanks fingers99 didn't realise there was a pip going try what you said tomorrow.

as Oldhammer says,
Check the alternator pulley will spin freely or take the alternator belt off and try starting it. If it starts fine without the belt on it will be the alternator seized.

recently had a similar problem.

as Oldhammer says,
Check the alternator pulley will spin freely or take the alternator belt off and try starting it. If it starts fine without the belt on it will be the alternator seized.

recently had a similar problem.

so the seized alternator stopped the car running..??, new one on me.. :confused:
hopefully they sussed it this week, ;)

Charlie

aseized alternator killed the engine on my 16v.

failed bearing..?? :confused:

would've thought that would howl for long enough before letting go to give you fair warning..

got a noisy bearing on my old panda now..after being laid-up for 6 weeks due to head gasket / time issues, :(
did cambelt tensoner = noise still there :cry:.. but comes + goes:(

plan was to whip off alternator drive belt and see if it goes.. but sods law says it'll be quiet anyway,:rolleyes:

funny..not had alternator issues on any Fiat since @ 1998 ( tiopTD - never had to touch any on the Mk2 punto's - same as panda..??

cheers for your input..,
Charlie

Idont know what happend with it tbh.
it was locked solid,
the engine on the car was seized when ibought it, garage gave up on it after
changing the c/h. new gates' t-belt they put on was shreded,

ichecked alternator before putting belt on after rebuild..and it was locked solid.
bought another alternator from breakers yard,afew months down the line it
was upto same tricks,

ithink water gets into alternators on puntos via the rubber scuttle drain but imight be wrong,

if these alternators get noisy..id bin them,

Last edited:
Back