Technical Cancheck message

Currently reading:
Technical Cancheck message

OK Dave,

If it helps, I know of someone with a CVT Punto - like yours and mine - who fitted a FIAT stereo and did something to make the CAN check message go away (e.g. "joining the wires behind the dash"). Then the CVT transmission blew up. Seriously! Something about confusing the CAN bus controller and the transmission operated incorrectly, mechanically wrecking itself.

If I was in your position, I'd definitely fit an aftermarket head unit - far less risky. JVC sell a number of cheaply-priced models that have ISO sockets - ideal for the job. I paid the equivalent of 40 pounds for a brand-new MP3-playing CD head unit. Model KD-G332.

This morning I was thrilled to win an auction for a Blaupunkt Munchen RDM169 for even less - about 30 pounds - that's an o-l-d stereo (about 2002) that cost a fortune when new (399 pounds), traffic information memory (stores TIM broadcast while switched-off), keycard security and steering wheel remote, flip-down front CD player that doesn't play MP3s, but great European look and feel, top-class sound (parametric EQ), and auxiliary input (for my iPod). It's going in my 164.

I wanted something nice to replace the new 180-pound DVD 4" touchscreen player I bought a few months back - it's hideous to use (have to use a stylus to change tracks/tune the radio) and the sound/appearance is crap. Quality doesn't happen by accident; never assume that a cheap new stereo will be the same quality as an expensive old stereo...

I would wire up an ignition-switched 12v feed from the heater fan switch supply, the cigarette lighter socket, or similar. The stereo's switched 12v input (aftermarket: red wire) is always low-current - the main current for the stereo power supply comes from a thicker wire (aftermarket: yellow wire). You may need to buy another ISO plug from a car stereo shop so as to get the extra pin required to add the switched 12v supply to the ISO plug already in the car.

The other alternative - which is too late for the earlier poster in this thread to consider - is to just pop the face off when you leave the car for extended periods. That way, there's no current draw (most stereos).

-Alex

Last edited:
If it helps, I know of someone with a CVT Punto - like yours and mine - who fitted a FIAT stereo and did something to make the CAN check message go away (e.g. "joining the wires behind the dash"). Then the CVT transmission blew up. Seriously! Something about confusing the CAN bus controller and the transmission operated incorrectly, mechanically wrecking itself.

I

by joining the wires your effectively short circuiting the CAN bus system thus changing the systems resistance.

OK Dave,

If I was in your position, I'd definitely fit an aftermarket head unit - far less risky. JVC sell a number of cheaply-priced models that have ISO sockets - ideal for the job. I paid the equivalent of 40 pounds for a brand-new MP3-playing CD head unit. Model KD-G332.

This morning I was thrilled to win an auction for a Blaupunkt Munchen RDM169 for even less - about 30 pounds - that's an o-l-d stereo (about 2002) that cost a fortune when new (399 pounds), traffic information memory (stores TIM broadcast while switched-off), keycard security and steering wheel remote, flip-down front CD player that doesn't play MP3s, but great European look and feel, top-class sound (parametric EQ), and auxiliary input (for my iPod). It's going in my 164.

I wanted something nice to replace the new 180-pound DVD 4" touchscreen player I bought a few months back - it's hideous to use (have to use a stylus to change tracks/tune the radio) and the sound/appearance is crap. Quality doesn't happen by accident; never assume that a cheap new stereo will be the same quality as an expensive old stereo...

I would wire up an ignition-switched 12v feed from the heater fan switch supply, the cigarette lighter socket, or similar. The stereo's switched 12v input (aftermarket: red wire) is always low-current - the main current for the stereo power supply comes from a thicker wire (aftermarket: yellow wire). You may need to buy another ISO plug from a car stereo shop so as to get the extra pin required to add the switched 12v supply to the ISO plug already in the car.

The other alternative - which is too late for the earlier poster in this thread to consider - is to just pop the face off when you leave the car for extended periods. That way, there's no current draw (most stereos).

-Alex

thanks, but this is for my other non speedgear punto, speedgear box has blown up again :eek: so i had to use this other punto with no sounds to go to a forum meet, i survived though am back now:)

Last edited:
I have an radio for CANBUS, but my PUNTO is 1995 year made...
How to switch off CANCHECK ?

Hello to all from Turkey...I have a 2005 model 1.3 mj Dynamic Punto with casette player...I'll buy a cd player from a Punto 2006 1.3 Active user.Do u think it would work in my car and does it play mp3?Please inform me.Thank you....

Back