General Can you claim tax back when selling to a dealer?

Currently reading:
General Can you claim tax back when selling to a dealer?

Thanks but why this?

"Do NOT let the dealer send the slip from the log book as it is your responsibility as the Registered Keeper."

Everytime Ive sold a car the dealer has done all that. In fact I dont see why they would allow you to do this as you could just not bother and the car remains yours. I certainly never buy a car without the slip, it would be my right.

With regards to the slip why does it matter when it is sent, or who sends it anyway, as a couple of posts previous has the .gov website saying that you can be the "previous registered keeper and ask for a refund"?

Thanks but why this?

Because it states it on the V5C. If dealer looses it and doesn't send it off your still responsible for fines for not taxing it etc, you not sending it off though doesn't mean it's still yours as the dealer will have the green slip which is enough for them to apply for the logbook (y)

Well I phoned the DVLA and they confirmed as per the website that you can take the disc out when you sell it, fix it with the section 9 from the log book and send it off.:)

Everytime Ive sold a car the dealer has done all that. In fact I dont see why they would allow you to do this as you could just not bother and the car remains yours. I certainly never buy a car without the slip, it would be my right.

With regards to the slip why does it matter when it is sent, or who sends it anyway, as a couple of posts previous has the .gov website saying that you can be the "previous registered keeper and ask for a refund"?

For sales to a dealership/trader the GREEN slip is retained by the dealer to give to the new keeper, it's only the YELLOW slip that is sent off by you to notify the car is now in the motor trade. The main part of the log book is kept by the dealer until someone else buys the car, at which time the dealer hands the new keeper the Green slip & sends the rest to DVLA with the new owners details, so DVLA can send the new owners a new log book.

You've been very lucky with dealers in the past. Ive come across many dealers who havn't set off the relevant part of the log book like they say they would & then when the new owner hasn't received a log book, they apply to DVLA for one on a V62 form & the old owner gets a fine for not notifying DVLA of the change of ownership.

As MostEasterly also points out, you're responsible for any penalties/fines & the tax for that vehicle until you tell DVLA you no longer own it. I was an enforcement officer for DVLA so don't doubt me, i was trying to be helpful. If you'd rather get a fine it's upto you :cry:

Well I phoned the DVLA and they confirmed as per the website that you can take the disc out when you sell it, fix it with the section 9 from the log book and send it off.:)

Which was essentially what i said, wasn't it? :confused:

Well Saturday has been and gone and unfortunately I wasnt able to get the Bravo sport due to a few odd and annoying circumstance so I bought a new 6 month tax disc. Hopefully I will be able to find another one soon. A shame as it was really nice, low milage, red sport 1.9 150, those lovely 18 inch wheels, tints. Well I wasnt totally sold on getting a diesel over the petrol so maybe it wasnt meant to be.

Exactly. It was near to perfect but perfect would be the same spec but petrol for £500 less (if thats what they go for compared to the diesels).

Back