Technical Can someone recommend a diagnostic tool please. 04 1.3 Multijet

Currently reading:
Technical Can someone recommend a diagnostic tool please. 04 1.3 Multijet

I still use FiatECUscan 1.6 and it doesn't show any ECU support for the 1.3JTD (if that is what a multijet is). Does version 2.4.1 show support (i.e. are one or more ECUs listed when you select the model)?

red.

Thanks Dave...I shall watch that auction closely ;)

RED - Mine is definitely the Multijet, which some people refer to as the JTD. I think the JTD was prior to the Multijet and is technically different, although I'm really not sure?
Version 2.4.1 shows support of A LOT including the '1.3 JTD'. There is no mention of the Multijet, but being as the 1.3 JTD is diesel and 1.3 I have opted for that. Fiat Scan has been recommended on several threads on the forum and therefore I have taken their knowledge as greater than mine and assumed that when JTD is mentioned, the Multijet is referred to...?
Could be that this is the problem...never really given it much thought until now?
hmmmmmm....? :)

"Multijet" refers to the injector technology (ie, multiple small injections per compression stroke to reduce knock and emissions as opposed to one big injection). The 1.3 was the pioneer for the 'new age' of common rail, and the newer (DPF) versions can fire 5 or more times in a stroke. It's still a "JTD" basically, it just differentiates it from a petrol model.

The 1.3 Diesel ECU is usually mounted directly by the battery with two large multiplugs in the top/side. You should be able to read the label without removing it IIRC. (y)

Early DI diesels injected a small amount of fuel to provide a "spark" just ahead of the main pulse. Later systems use multiple jets. The common rail allows a more accurate injection timing. VW's PD system uses a separate pump per cylinder.

DI diesels with ordinary single pulse injectors were really smoky - e.g the Perkins Prima. Improved with 2 stage injection but still dirty compared with today's diesels.

Back