General Can I replace rear axle on non-abs car with axle from abs car?

Currently reading:
General Can I replace rear axle on non-abs car with axle from abs car?

Dalletharta

I don't know what the difference is between the axles but in my ebay searching I have found an abs type at a good price. Is it possible? Also if anyone has a suitable axle for my 03 1.2 active please shout. Leeds area even better!
Thanks.

You can get a kit for about €60 for the 2 sides to rebuild the rear arms, at least everything is new then,

You can get a kit for about €60 for the 2 sides to rebuild the rear arms, at least everything is new then,

Rear Arms? there aint any
The axle is everything in 1 - Bolt on hubs

Only Arm part i can think of is the Bushing on the pivoting point
other than that - nowt esle

As for ABS on non ABS
Cant see why not
Suspension's same
Shapes the same
Only difference maybe backplates/(hubs same size iirc) And fact 1 will have wiring one wont

As said above - just soak the nuts plenty before or roast them
and just impact them off = No fuss no worries with a hub swap
(hell u wouldnt even need to touch Hubs spindle then (just swap whole brake assembly)

Ziggy

Thought the post was in the Mk I section!

never saw a mk1 with abs
but then i do remember that the automatics worked with magnets:D
so i read-------
they were smooth though
later axle with abs will fit but as said the stub axles and back plates all need changing because brake shoes possibly cylinders and of course auto adjusters are different
get axle off your car
put it next to used purchase,swap everything over on the floor
jobs a good un
make sure car secure of course because they are heavy and if on axle stands sills could collapse

never saw a mk1 with abs
but then i do remember that the automatics worked with magnets:D
so i read-------
they were smooth though
later axle with abs will fit but as said the stub axles and back plates all need changing because brake shoes possibly cylinders and of course auto adjusters are different
get axle off your car
put it next to used purchase,swap everything over on the floor
jobs a good un
make sure car secure of course because they are heavy and if on axle stands sills could collapse

Sills only place left once rear axle front bush mount is removed :(

Ensure you have a low fuel tank and empty the boot - its all weight that helps prevent the sills crushing

Ziggy

Back