Technical Cambelt Installation - Timing Marks

Currently reading:
Technical Cambelt Installation - Timing Marks

EdwinF

Hi Guys

Im new here, my wife has a Fiat 500L 1.4 Easy 2015. Her cambelt ripped about 15 teeth off and Im really hoping it didnt do any damage, Im a bit old school when it comes to working on cars. I have bought a new belt, searched the internet for hours trying to find the crank and cam markings without success. Is there anyone on here that can assist me with the markings or on how to line it all up, I dont have access to the fancy cambelt tools I saw on some Youtube videos today. Attached are 2 fotos.

Hope to hear from someone who has done this before

There are no timing marks on these engines as far as I know. I'm very familiar with the 1.2 and 1.4 Fire engines and I'm presuming your's is a FIRE engine? and it's only the much earlier engines which had timing marks. The later engines are pretty much impossible to do without the timing tools. I'm afraid I've also got more bad news for you because the later engines were all interference type which means that if the belt teeth were ripped with the engine running then it's very likely the timing will be out by quite a lot which means that almost certainly the valves and pistons will have become very intimate with each other. So, I'm sorry to have to say, I think it very likely the cambelt will be the least of your problems.

If you want to see how to do it using the tools then take a look at Andy Monty's excellent guide in the Grande Punto section. I've got my fingers cross that you may have "got away" with this, but I think it's unlikely. Good luck!

Edit. PS. welcome to the forum, sorry it's in such sad circumstances though.

I was just thinking, the age of the belt is just about on the max recommended by Fiat for these to be changed so I think you've been very unlucky. What's the mileage? It's very unusual to hear of one of these belts failing so it may be something to do with the water pump or tensioner bearings partially failing and allowing the belt to go slightly slack? If you're lucky enough to have not sustained any valve damage then be sure to change the water pump and tensioner at the same time won't you.

PS. I notice you're in SA so the change recommendations may be different because of the different climate in your country?

I was just thinking, the age of the belt is just about on the max recommended by Fiat for these to be changed so I think you've been very unlucky. What's the mileage? It's very unusual to hear of one of these belts failing so it may be something to do with the water pump or tensioner bearings partially failing and allowing the belt to go slightly slack? If you're lucky enough to have not sustained any valve damage then be sure to change the water pump and tensioner at the same time won't you.

PS. I notice you're in SA so the change recommendations may be different because of the different climate in your country?
Thanks so much for your reply. I have the 1.4 16V, from all the research I did it seems I may have been lucky and didnt bend vavles, only time will tell. Just one more question. If a person doesnt have the timing tools to lock crank and cam what are the chances you will succeed.

I'm not so familiar with the 16 valve but I've read plenty. However If you are very knowledgeable about engines you can probably work out that normally with no1 at top dead centre firing stroke the cam lobes will be in overlap on No4 (which is to say, in direction of rotation, the exhausts will be virtually closed and the inlets just staring to open) For the purposes of this consideration we can forget about 2 and 3. If you haven't slackened off any of the pulley bolts you might get lucky by setting up the engine as above and then trying a new belt on. If it's only a fraction of a tooth out you might find that moving the crank slightly until the belt meshes with the teeth will return you to the position it was all in before the belt snapped. However, and it's quite a big however, modern engines are often not timed so simply, with valves opening and closing sometimes quite a number of degrees before/after TDC/BDC. So, you might get lucky but the cards are stacked against you. If you do decide to have a go then please, after fitting the new belt and before you try to start it, turn the engine over SLOWLY for 2 crank revolutions - so one complete rev of cams - and feel for any resistance which might indicate a valve and piston crown are getting "friendly". Do this with the plugs out so there is no compression to dull your feel as you turn it over and stop immediately if ANY resistance is felt

Good luck. hope it works out for you and do keep us informed of your progress.

Back