Technical Cambelt and water pump

Currently reading:
Technical Cambelt and water pump

Hi
I have checked most of the threads regarding this but could do with some help.
I can understand how the belt and tensioner are fitted but
1. Is it necessary to remove the crankshaft pulley to fit the belt or can you work around it?
2. I can see the mark on the camshaft pulley and the one on the housing but cannot see the other one. Someone said it was at 9-O'clock but that doesn't help! Could someone upload a picture showing it?
3. Is it necessary to use any tools to lock the engine if just changing the belt?
4. I have bought a replacement water pump but now realise I have to remove the camshaft pulley. Can this be done without the special tools?
Thanks

Hi
Yes I have read those. Unfortunately it is for the JTD105 without ac but more to the point it doesn't say how to lock the crankshaft or the camshaft pulley or where the mark is!
Hope someone knows

Line up your cam with the casing then make your own marks on the crank pulley and crankcase.
The fuel pump doesn't matter.

No harm mark the belt and pulleys with some tippex and you can offer It up to new belt and count teeth between marks... Or even transcribe markings.

Remember your old belt will be slightly stretched leaving your cranks old position slightly more clockwise than it's new position. (based on you'd markings)

1. The crank's toothed pulley, and the lower section of belt, are enclosed by a close-fitting 'fence' casting, which keeps debris out of the area.
The Aux belt pulley 'completes' the enclosure, so there's no way you'd get the belts on/off with it in place.

2. The mark is on the toothed crank pulley. you won't see it until the Aux-belt pulley's removed.

3. I didn't lock mine.
As long as you check and double-check the marks (on both pulleys and the belt), and don't move anything while doing it, you'll be fine.
There's nothing to stop you making your own extra marks of course, if you think it'll help. I made a few when I did mine.

4. Yes. As described in the guide, step 17.
Just make sure whatever you lean the bar against is a good strong 'lump'.
It helps to have someone else to help with this, although you can manage it yourself.

As with most jobs, particularly 'critical' ones like this, read through the guide a few times until you're happy and familiar with all the steps, and double check everything.

It's not really a difficult job, you just need to approach it with the right preparation.

Last edited:
Hi
Have you had a look at the 'Cambelt and Water Pump Change' pdf in the Engine section here?:

https://sites.google.com/site/fiatmultipla/Home/repairs

I had read only the first two text pages but have looked again and the whole article is excellent with many very clear pics and description. Most of my queries are answered in it!!!
I use the Repairs often and even write for it but not as well as this.....
Thanks

Back