General Buying fiat 126

Currently reading:
General Buying fiat 126

IgorToko

Hello all,

I'm new in the forum & just posted and intro post about myself.

I'm an engineer in my 20s living in Sweden and fell in love with the fiat 126 on my recent trip to Italy.

I'm looking into buying one and have started researching. I've been mostly looking at the Polish 126p version. My budget is preferably not very high since I'm saving up money for other stuff, but I'm willing to spend up to 2000 euros approx. I'm from Ukraine originally, so I understand most eastern-european languages fairly well, so I've been researching on the polish websites, where prices seem a bit lower than the Italian ones. I'm planning to use the car occasionally on weekends when it's nice weather (I don't need it as a daily driver). I'm into mechanics and have a small workshop at home that I use for miniature gasoline engine building (I cast & machine my engines, very small, about 10 cm in total size) so i wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty with the car.

I have a few questions that id like answered:

1. Can I get a decent model for below 2000 or even 1500 if I travel to eastern Europe?

2. I know they tend to rust, but how much rust is too much? I plan to drive the car for maybe 5-10 years occasionally, but I don't want a museum car. Can I still use the car even if it has rust & when does it become dangerous?

3. What are the most reliable models to buy on a low budget? I know that early models are a lot pricier than the later ones. Is it worth to get one from the late 90s or is quality on those worse? My thought is that later model may be cheaper and less rusted than the early ones?

Thanks everyone for your time, I may come up with some more questions later.

/Igor

My suggestion would be to wait a little and save some money. Get one with good bodywork as that is the most expensive to repair. I prefer the air cooled cars as they are simple and reliable with a massive spare parts availability. I have a 1977 chrome bumper model which I'm looking to sell but its slightly above your budget.

Back