Technical Bulb monitoring

Currently reading:
Technical Bulb monitoring

MadAlicesDad

My daughter came home last night saying people had been repeatedly flashing her. When I checked this morning, both headlamp bulbs were blown.
There had been no messages on the dash to say any bulb had failed.
I know the car monitors other bulbs (eg tail lamp), but does it not monitor the headlamp bulbs?
It's a 09 plate 500 1.2 Pop.

TIA

No.. this is normal

You are expected to notice you cannot see at night :)

2 blown bulbs..

When were they last checked as working?
I'm sure I remember seeing them both working within the last 2 weeks.
My novice driver daughter was driving on roads with adequate street lights. It is easily possible to be able to see when driving at night without superhuman powers [emoji12]

Both DRLs were working. And she checked to see if full beam worked - it did

Btw the question was whether the car monitors the bulbs. Are you saying it does not do safety critical lights like head lights but it does say if a number plate light is out?

Last edited:
I'm sure I remember seeing them both working within the last 2 weeks.
My novice driver daughter was driving on roads with adequate street lights. It is easily possible to be able to see when driving at night without superhuman powers [emoji12]

Both DRLs were working. And she checked to see if full beam worked - it did

Btw the question was whether the car monitors the bulbs. Are you saying it does not do safety critical lights like head lights but it does say if a number plate light is out?
Headlight sent bot but all other exterior lights are I believe
Normally most people notice a headlight out that's why

I imagine it's as the mean headlight are fed fia relays and all the other are fed direct from the body computer so it can monitor them
Could be wrong however about that?

I think my older FIATs covered all lights..

But cars since @2005 dont seem to cover the headlights.. my 2007 GP being my first experience of this..

2004 panda didnt need a bulb or fuse in 14 years.. so blowing 2 bulbs in a month sounds odd
But as seen in all those 'one-eyed' cars out there.. the remaining bulb seems to run extra bright :(

Are you saying it does not do safety critical lights like head lights but it does say if a number plate light is out?

One of the obscure decisions of auto makers. They tell you when the license plate light is out, one you couldn't care less about, but not headlights. And I don't fully agree with the opinion that you should notice a missing headlight immediately. Under city conditions or if you are not in complete dark, or when it's raining, one missing headlight will go unnoticed very easily. :confused:
Both maybe not...

It's the same stupidity that the engine goes into limp mode with a minor fault in the engine control that maybe affects emission, but you can drive thousands of miles at full speed with a brake error light on. (n)

One of the obscure decisions of auto makers. They tell you when the license plate light is out, one you couldn't care less about, but not headlights. And I don't fully agree with the opinion that you should notice a missing headlight immediately. Under city conditions or if you are not in complete dark, or when it's raining, one missing headlight will go unnoticed very easily. :confused:
Both maybe not...

It's the same stupidity that the engine goes into limp mode with a minor fault in the engine control that maybe affects emission, but you can drive thousands of miles at full speed with a brake error light on. (n)

Number plate lights are a legal requirement and not something you’d notice from the drivers seat, so it is important.

Under city / urban conditions, in the UK at least, the dipped beam headlight isn’t a requirement, only side / position lamps. That aside you should still be able to see if you’ve a dipped beam out when sitting behind another car in traffic or at a junction.

A brake light out won’t potentially cause thousands of £££ of damage to an engine, an engine fault could - no stupidity in a limp home mode there.

I wasn‘t talking about brake light but brake wear or fluid level warning light. THAT should bring you into limp mode at some point.

Back