Technical Bubbling/water running noises

Currently reading:
Technical Bubbling/water running noises

When i run the car upto temperature i know that the water level is going to drop
You dont want it to run below min

so i leave mine about 1inch from Max line - run car upto temperature, you'll be surprised it'll drop back down to max line again as air escapes

Ziggy

Ok thanks! But how will the air escape by running it upto temperature with the bleed valves closed?

Bled it again this morning but as soon as the engine started, you've guessed it . . .

Ok thanks! But how will the air escape by running it upto temperature with the bleed valves closed?

Bled it again this morning but as soon as the engine started, you've guessed it . . .
Yeah im getting the same things... seems to be when i start my car up. I managed to gain fluid yesterday? which really worried me... Bled it again and then went out quickly and seemed to be okay. I keep getting the engine management light come on, so thats going in a garage tomorrow... if that comes back with something im going to ask them to do a compression test aswell to rule out the possibility of it being head gasket. If it is, does anyone know how hard it is to do?

Yeah im getting the same things... seems to be when i start my car up. I managed to gain fluid yesterday? which really worried me... Bled it again and then went out quickly and seemed to be okay. I keep getting the engine management light come on, so thats going in a garage tomorrow... if that comes back with something im going to ask them to do a compression test aswell to rule out the possibility of it being head gasket. If it is, does anyone know how hard it is to do?

Yeah I'm starting to wonder about the head gasket. Although I hope to god its not. I just can't think why after bleeding it, and starting the engine again there would instantly be air back in the coolant.

Yeah I'm starting to wonder about the head gasket. Although I hope to god its not. I just can't think why after bleeding it, and starting the engine again there would instantly be air back in the coolant.

Yeah i hope it isn't aswell, but if it is i'll do it myself. I have very little mechanical knowledge but would rather learn than pay garage fees! I'll let you know what happens tomorrow about the engine management light (if its connected at all) and the results on the compression test.

Hope all goes well for you

Yeah i hope it isn't aswell, but if it is i'll do it myself. I have very little mechanical knowledge but would rather learn than pay garage fees! I'll let you know what happens tomorrow about the engine management light (if its connected at all) and the results on the compression test.

Hope all goes well for you

Ok yep let me know! Ill let you know how mine goes too.

Well just got back from picking the car up.
Local garage found the fault code for engine management light was temperature sensor... all done with a new sensor for £41.... and a piece of mind.

As for the bubbling, it seems to still be there, but im going to go out in it for a long drive soon and see if that clears it.
Will keep you posted

Got it bled again, but this time the bleeding screw has snapped in half! Half left inside the valve and half snapped out . . . Just great

Which bleed screw?

There both plastic, so Id try heating a phase tester and melting it into the stuck bit, then you should be able to unscrew it.

Rear bleed screws are the same as on mk1 puntos, so shouldnt be too hard to pick up on in the scrappies, - just be sure theres a o ring on it before screwing it back in

Recently did an engine swap so just swapped over the coolant tubes from my other punto was fair easy.

Got the new tubes on, filled up with coolant and bled the system. The Bubbling noises have more or less gone now. There is still the occasional sound of running water (really faintly). The car has had a couple of 30 - 40 min runs now. But every now and again there is still a quiet water trickling noise. Will this be ok and work its way out or do i need to have another attempt at bleeding it ?

Thanks.

Bleed it again or your head will suffer. These motors are not as straightforward as others to bleed properly. There are lots of guides here about it and different ways of doing it which work or don't for me depending on the humour the car is in. Most reliable for me is to fill the rad to the top of the filler neck , upend a 500ml water bottle of coolant on the neck and blast the air out of the back screw which seems to have a secret stash of air somewhere.

Just to clarify, is this with the engine running or off ?

Time to change water pump!!!
Did you change it when came belt changed???(y)

Last edited:
Back