Technical Broken battery clamp bolt, is there an easy non welding fix?

Currently reading:
Technical Broken battery clamp bolt, is there an easy non welding fix?

Hi guys,

The battery retaining clamp bolt is sheared on the sisley, I am just wondering if there is a way to clamp the battery down without grinding the old bolt off and welding a new one in? I see halfords have a universal battery retaining clamp, but I dont think it would work on a panda as there isnt anything for the long rods to hook onto? Does anyone have any ideas if there is a way to make it work, or a secure MOT worthy repair without using welding? http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr...s/car-battery-chargers/halfords-battery-clamp

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

The battery retaining clamp bolt is sheared on the sisley, I am just wondering if there is a way to clamp the battery down without grinding the old bolt off and welding a new one in? I see halfords have a universal battery retaining clamp, but I dont think it would work on a panda as there isnt anything for the long rods to hook onto? Does anyone have any ideas if there is a way to make it work, or a secure MOT worthy repair without using welding? http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr...s/car-battery-chargers/halfords-battery-clamp

Thanks in advance.

Bolt - or stud..( that a nut screws onto):confused:

IF it's sheared at a convenient height, :idea:
you could use a barrel nut to join up 2 x shorter threaded parts..,

Charlie

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I have seen cars pass an MOT with a bungee cord holding the battery in, but I think it all depends on the tester and what they think is acceptable.

The easiest way I can think of being able to use the original clamp is to use a Rivnut. Drill a hole where the original stud was, fit the rivnut and then you can either use a bolt through the clamp or use some threaded bar so you have a stud sticking up as per original.

If the worst comes to the worst I don't mind a trundle in your direction with welder and tools in tow. I always wanted to see your Panda lair.

The battery tray is directly above your pedal box so its not much fun to access from below. Theres also a soundproofing felt below the battery tray which has to be avoided like the plague if fires are to be avoided.

Last edited:
If the worst comes to the worst I don't mind a trundle in your direction with welder and tools in tow. I always wanted to see your Panda lair.

The battery tray is directly above your pedal box so its not much fun to access from below. Theres also a soundproofing felt below the battery tray which has to be avoided like the plague if fires are to be avoided.

I will keep it in mind Kris, thanks for the info too!

My dad has said he will do it, but to be honest trying to get him to commit to actually doing it is like herding cats :ROFLMAO:

I really do need to take the time to learn and buy a welder at some point.

I have seen cars pass an MOT with a bungee cord holding the battery in, but I think it all depends on the tester and what they think is acceptable.

The easiest way I can think of being able to use the original clamp is to use a Rivnut. Drill a hole where the original stud was, fit the rivnut and then you can either use a bolt through the clamp or use some threaded bar so you have a stud sticking up as per original.

Beat me to it Freddy :), this is how I would do it too.

Back