Technical brake problems

Currently reading:
Technical brake problems

jimIN

hi, can anyone help i have overhauled my brake calipers replaced all the seals but the front right hand side sticks it doesnot release when i take my foot off the pedal it can be pushed back with a g clamp then the disk will spin again. I am assuming it is the master cylinder that needs replacing now is it as bad a job as some people say??:confused:

If it is only one corner with the problem then it isn't the master cylinder, it can only be the caliper itself, if it were the master cylinder then either 2 or 4 of the calipers would have the same problem.

Hi, I agree with Jimbro, I have just done mine, all four, you shouldn't need a g clamp to push the piston in, take out the piston and make sure the seal hasn't been damaged, should be put back in with plenty of brake fluid to lubricate it. I pushed mine in with the handle of a brush. Clean the piston with something like Duraglit, clean off and lubricate before you reassemble. Hope this helps,
Tony

hi, thanks for your replies but i had lubricated the piston well on rebuild and it still would not go back so ive replaced that caliper same problem ive had a closer look at master cylinder and there seems to be fluid around it not enough to drip but it is wet so i think i will swap it any way to be safe.

If the master cylinder is leaking then by all means replace it - it needs doing but I don't think this is going to solve the problem with the caliper.

The master cylinder has two outlet pipes, each driven from a seperate chamber within the assembly. Each pipe is then split two ways in a simple union block. If you are having a problem like this the master cylinder would affect two calipers.

If the caliper itself is working freely (off the car) then the problem has to be the union or the pipes from the union to the caliper (or indeed the pipe fittings at either end).

Did you have this problem prior to work on calipers? Did the system run dry of fluid when calipers were off? as I said you should not have needed a clamp to push piston in, if its that tight there is something wrong at the caliper! are you sure its the correct size seal?

Good day from Kandahar fellas...

assuming you have the correct parts for the caliper rebuild, my question to you is this....

Have you replaced the Flex Hose going to that caliper?

These old hoses tend to collapse and it is quite possible that there is a restriction in there preventing brake fluid from easily returning to the M/C & Reservoir.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Have you replaced the Flex Hose going to that caliper?

These old hoses tend to collapse and it is quite possible that there is a restriction in there preventing brake fluid from easily returning to the M/C & Reservor

think you hit the nail on the head had same problem with a brava so replaced all flexy pipes just in case the pressure from master cylinder it strong enough to bush through but calliper has no way of pushing fluid back at same pressure (y)

hi, cheers for replies again i replaced mc what a miserable job n guess what, still stickin only thing left was flexies so order some goodridge ones put that problem one on and hey presto sorted, all that for what was potentialy an £8 part:bang:

That's excellent news.....:)

Enjoy driving the X.....as for me.....I'm going to replace both Master Cylinders
and Clutch Slave when I go back home in April and hopefully be driving mine
around for a bit before returning to Kandahar at the end of May.

Bye for now, and keep posting.
This is what is keeping me sane out here in the sandbox!!!!!

Back