Technical Brake pads?

Currently reading:
Technical Brake pads?

fluffmyster

Alright, needing new brake pads at the front for my 1.4 8v Active Sport. Got quoted £120 by Arnold Clark for parts and fitting but this seems very steep going by the prices I have seen elsewhere for brake pads alone.

I'd appreciate if anyone can lend a helping hand as to which brake pads I should be buying as it seems it would be much cheaper to buy them myself and get them fitted in a garage.

I've had standard up till now and not really had any complaints so don't mind going for standard stuff again but if there is something better for the money do let me know.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

120 isnt a bad price for a main dealer fitting oem parts, ive seen people on here paying double that

just the parts on shop4parts is £124.37 delivered
£124.37 for front brake pads?!?... ebc greenstuff are only about £40...

£124.37 for front brake pads?!?... ebc greenstuff are only about £40...

That's what I was thinking.

I'm sure the pads for my car are about £30 on shop4parts (and that's for 4 pads apparently). That's if going the OEM route of course.

Last edited:
aha yeah, thought that was a bit steep just for pads

just out of interest, are you gonna change discs aswell or just go for pads?

my dad took his car to the garage the other week...i suggested it needed new pads and offered to do it myself...he picked it up from the garage with a bill close to 400 notes as they'd done discs too :/

Last edited:
aha yeah, thought that was a bit steep just for pads

just out of interest, are you gonna change discs aswell or just go for pads?

my dad took his car to the garage the other week...i suggested it needed new pads and offered to do it myself...he picked it up from the garage with a bill close to 400 notes as they'd done discs too :/

Just the pads, the discs are fine for now. So are EBC Greenstuff the recommended thing then? Not much of an increase in price over standard pads but at a quick glance on the forum I saw that it doesn't last as long. Is this true?

Also I'm assuming everybody is going for the 'genuine' option from shop4parts? It's just that Bendix seem to be the default on there.

i've got greenstuff on mine and theyre great. i've heard complaints about them but i haven't had any problems

they state that theyre low dust and i have noticed my wheels dont get as dirty as they used to, they do squeak a little bit under very light braking but once you properly put your foot down theyre fine (i understand this happens with all performance pads)

don't know much about their longevity, but i've had mine on about 8000 miles and still going strong!

sup to you really, when i priced up standard pads were half the price, but as i was replacing all round i thought i may aswell pay that bit extra and get better pads

Okey dokey, thanks very much :) I'm leaning towards the EBC greenstuff now but I'm still open to any suggestions. Thanks to everybody else too for their input.

i had greens on my mk2 lasted 15k miles and that was with 2 groove discs so with smooth disc should last longer, i also had automatic gearbox that are supposed to wear brakes down quicker. i had white wheels and really needed them for the low dust.
new car i have oem spec brembo discs and pads seem ok dont know how fast they will wear though as i only fitted them a few weeks back, got them from http://www.nextdaybrakes.com/

Just worth stating that any modification to the braking system must be disclosed to the insurance company fitting Performance discs and/or pads is seen as a modification and affects your premium as to the the insurance company your seen as more of a risk, Even if you are actually improving the stopping ability of your car :nutter: :doh:

came up recently on here with a couple of insurance co's adding their 2p

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=222536

Just worth stating that any modification to the braking system must be disclosed to the insurance company fitting Performance discs and/or pads is seen as a modification and affects your premium as to the the insurance company your seen as more of a risk, Even if you are actually improving the stopping ability of your car :nutter: :doh:

came up recently on here with a couple of insurance co's adding their 2p

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=222536

Ahh I hadn't thought of that, thanks for letting me know. I might just get the standard pads after all.

Ahh I hadn't thought of that, thanks for letting me know. I might just get the standard pads after all.

I can't cite the exact models or P/No's - but some GP pads are common with other FIAT Group models (e.g. Stilo) ... that may save you 20-25%.

I took my car to a garage the other day for tyres and was informed that I need new front brake disks and pads. A main dealer quote was £275 inc fitting. What discs and pads will I need for a T-Jet and where can I buy them for cheaper? Thanks.

I fitted green stuff pads about 1.5k miles ago before me map. My only complaint is they squeek at low speeds, i will say when you need em to though they do stop the car well. I have just started to turn the HU up now so i don't hear the noise.

Unless you are a spirited driver/ are realy bothered about brake dust on your alloys i would just buy standard pads or EBC ultimax pads (£17 on flebay).

oooow nasty, imagin he he hadn't have noticed the state of his disks. I only brought standard EBC vented disks, they came sealed in EBC boxes i have been happy with them so far time will tell. They are wearing nice and evenly at the moment.

Back