Tuning Bmc or pipercross?

Currently reading:
Tuning Bmc or pipercross?

Quick help please got money in my pocket that needs! Spending hahaha going ahead with the cooperman induction kit but which panel filter offers the best performance ? Bmc and pipercross are 2 which i am keen to try but which ? And if so what others are there ?

K&N are what I always use, foam filters scare me, I don't trust them compared to woven cotton.

I have heard that k&n bog down fiat engines ?
You are listening to the wrong people,,, (y)

A standard filter will offer the same performance - the beauty of some of the aftermarket units is washability and re-usability.
K&N are excellent in this respect and a superb product.
Dont expect any power gains, only noise, which some find pleasing.

A standard filter will offer the same performance - the beauty of some of the aftermarket units is washability and re-usability.

Thanks for the clarity haha well i went on the k&n website and it said there is no dealers near me.. I dont really trust the ebay ads but is it safe to buy one from ebay?

It's all down to feeding the systems cold air. That makes a bigger difference than the systems themselves. A cheap filter with a well fed cold air supply will be vastly better than a k and n (or other setup) slapped on to of the engine drawing hot air. That will lose power.

Ill have a look when i get home in alittle bit and i have bought the silicone and aluminium tubing to make up the small cold air feed. Im going on holiday in a months time so i am doing this to improve my mpg on sensible driving terms

It's all down to feeding the systems cold air. That makes a bigger difference than the systems themselves. A cheap filter with a well fed cold air supply will be vastly better than a k and n (or other setup) slapped on to of the engine drawing hot air. That will lose power.

The manufacturer does a reasonably good job as it is. If you monitor the intake air temp with MES or even Torque, you can see that the actual difference is negligable - as in not recordable on a rolling road in most cases. But again, every little helps and some people like the indcution noise. Often 'performance' gains can be had by the actual audible feedback to the driver from the increased induction noise - the note and actual sound can assist gear change points by giving a better awareness of engine 'karma' (y)

The manufacturer does a reasonably good job as it is. If you monitor the intake air temp with MES or even Torque, you can see that the actual difference is negligable - as in not recordable on a rolling road in most cases. But again, every little helps and some people like the indcution noise. Often 'performance' gains can be had by the actual audible feedback to the driver from the increased induction noise - the note and actual sound can assist gear change points by giving a better awareness of engine 'karma' (y)

The main "gain" to be had is not only in intake temps though, (the point i was making was that it was easy to make things worse than standard buy mounting any induction system wrongly) it's in the amount/speed of the air. A good setup will gain you a very small amount of power (though never that much to make a significant difference in a small engined car!), but the main improvement from an induction kit for me is always in throttle response.... that alone makes a car feel faster and more alive :)

I've seen fantastic gains, everything I own has one even my work van!
We used to fit them to fleet wagons at one of my old jobs, they used to pull way better and saved money replacing them, just washed them :D

Ill have a look when i get home in alittle bit and i have bought the silicone and aluminium tubing to make up the small cold air feed. Im going on holiday in a months time so i am doing this to improve my mpg on sensible driving terms

I got the BMC panel of ebay, I just messaged a few sellers and asked if they could be a better price and one did.
Didn't notice any big gains after fitting just means fiat don't charge me a replacement each time it goes in!

I have heard that k&n bog down fiat engines ?

you are getting mixed up with cone and panel k&n

sponge is for washing your self in the bath so don't get pipercross.

people have reported bad things after re-oiling performance filters, so may be better off just using standard and replacing it more often.

People use too much oil, all you need is to spray on enough to turn the white red not leave it to soak in a tub of k&n oil over night lol
:D

I have a pipercross filter and a variation on the 'Cooperman' induction mod, works well and sounds great, there are no performance gains to be had and in fact you'll probably use more fuel as you'll be gunning it more often just to hear the sweet noise.

I wasent expecting much performance but i didnt want anything that bogged it down under hard accelorstion. The noise will be a nice bonus;) but the pipercross is what i first read up on when i bought the car and now hearing people dont like the sponge filters im abit cross minded what is the dissadvantages of a sponge filter ? And is the general rule they all work about the same its just down to preferencial taste?

I don't like sponge filters personally for the simple reason that sponges generally attract and absorb moisture and i wouldn't want my induction system sucking on a foam filter should any moisture somehow have been absorbed by it.

Ok thanks i can see the issue now haha well it looks like a bmc filter will be purchased soon! Thanks everyone!

Back