Blue and me dead, thinking of replacing the headunit to an updated version from fiat.

Currently reading:
Blue and me dead, thinking of replacing the headunit to an updated version from fiat.

Hello,
The bluetooth module arrived and i have been trying to get it installed into the system.

The module is placed inside the head unit enclosure and wired into the head unit motherboard itself.
I was not able to find any wire carrying the 5v switching power in the wiring harness.

The Delphi system has a capacitor (I believe)marked "680" which had 4.75v when the key is turned on. (picture given +ve terminal marked)
IMG_20240225_233717.jpg

I used that as the positive to the bluetooth board and the ground or negative side was attached to the headunits body.

I removed the CD drive as I won't be using it which gave me more than enough room inside the unit to place the bluetooth module.

Now coming to the audio output from the module these were wired into the "AF R", "AF L", and the "AF GROUND" wires in the wiring harness(top white coupler). On the wire side these are the "brown", "yellow" and white wires. I have attached the photos of the wires and the diagram below.
IMG_20240225_234126.jpg
IMG-20240225-WA0101.jpg

These wires were tapped into and extended. The extentions were then threaded into the headunit and attached on to the output terminals on the bluetooth module.

I then attached the bluetooth module using 3m mounting tape and all the excess wires were neatly tucked inside the headunit housing.

The bluetooth module turns on when I put the key to accessories position and during the turn off cycle the module may take a second or two to swich off as the capacitor holds charge.

The bluetooth connects with my phone seamlessly and goes into pairing mode when it doesn't detect any paired devices.

One problem I experienced was the audio is very feeble. I then tried pluging an aux cable into the aux port (the cable is not connected to my phone) the audio became normal and the quality was very good. I am planning to get a 3.5mm male jack dust protector to put into the aux port which will be neater. (picture attached)I don't really understand why that is, if anyone knows please let me know how I can correct it.
IMG_20240225_234717.jpg

No static great volume and clarity just as if its from the stock bluetooth, for a β‚Ή300 ($4 approx) module and like an hour worth of work thats very good compared to the insane costs of blue and me module.

Ps: I don't have any sort of prior experience working with headunits or electronics just did a bit of research and gave it a try. Also, all the soldering and installation was done by my friend shout out to himπŸ™Œ.

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_234126.jpg
    IMG_20240225_234126.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 11
Back