General Bipower 186AXC1A not recognised as Factory Fit by Aviva Insurance

Currently reading:
General Bipower 186AXC1A not recognised as Factory Fit by Aviva Insurance

Hi, all! I had to scrap my beautiful two tone 01 Multipla in April as too much to fix. I’ve replaced it with an ugly new boring ULEZ compliant 05 Blue Multi which runs on LPG/Autogas too as a factory fitted model. My insurance (multi-car policy with Panda too) renewal was rather a lot more than my dirty diesel. On the phone earlier the operative said they use DVLA data, trouble is the DVLA site has no mention of the variant but my V5 has D2 as AXC1A variant. They say it is a Post Market Modification. On Buycarparts AND Autodoc it comes out as the variant, on Halfords and Eurocraparts as just Petrol. The operative contacted the underwriter who said it was a modification too!

Is there any difference in premium in general? I cannot use Eurotunnel, even empty. It is a much better car as most things work, we managed to get LPG at 52.9/l last week in ASDA in High Wycombe, it seats 6 plus one in the boot cuddling the spare tyre, I can get a 4x8 sheet of 9mm ply plus lots else with four seats out.

My profile description is pretty limited to character number and photos (size and amount, hence screenshot). Does paying increase the quota, I owe FF some dosh for all your help!!

Hi, all! I had to scrap my beautiful two tone 01 Multipla in April as too much to fix. I’ve replaced it with an ugly new boring ULEZ compliant 05 Blue Multi which runs on LPG/Autogas

Does paying increase the quota, I owe FF some dosh for all your help!!

The whole taxation class thing was a nightmare... I looked at conversions

But as Jack says ..IF you manage to find FIAT literature it should help immensely

FiatMotorClub could be helpful

What does the VIN say?

Becoming a 'Forum Friend' is never a bad thing :)

Charlie

Fiat didn’t sell any UK models in the UK with factory fitted LPG. It was only for the European market irritatingly, so if it is factory fitted then the vehicle has been imported.

What’s the registration number and how’s it showing on the Fuel type on the V5? Petrol or gas bi/fuel?

My LPG Panda is Aviva insured, no issues in doing this, just declared as a modification along side the towbar. Also had a previous LPG Stilo insured with them also without issue (y)

Hi, all! Thanks for your speed replies. Interesting re imported as technically my 09 Panda was made in Poland but not considered imported! Also some companies here make LPG variants to sell abroad (my nephew is a senior engineer for Ford and says they do that, using BRC LPG system - which is the same as mine)! I looked up the literature accompanying the car from the Italian guy who buys, does up and resells Fiats and Alfas and I have the service/aftercare booklet for another Multipla! - I'll post that elsewhere as he/she probably has mine - so much for FSH! Just FYI the reg is GJ03EYV (taxed & insured). If the owner is a member I hope this gets picked up as last service was 28/7/20 at Lusardi Motors in Hackney. I have contacted my seller in case there was a swap. I've attached a couple of pics of the relevant pages. There is no way for me to trace the new owner.

My VIN is ZFA18600002219925 which comes up as Petrol on Vin.info I've attached a (small selfie) pic of the V5, detail 2D is Variant AXC1A. Reg no is PF54EOL. Taxation class is not an issue for me, although CPZ might be in effect. I am only running on LPG at the mo in London anyway as hardly drive at all, better for pollution too! Fuel Type on V5 is Petrol. The (wrong) booklet I have does have a box for a version code.

I definitely need to pay up.....! Maybe it will stop 'Timing Out' as I send and lose all my typing (back up in Notes first now!).

Thanks again, all!!

Hope this helps others in the same situation. An internet search was useless!

I also forgot about the tow bar modification I ought to declare, ooops, that may bump the premium up anyway!!

Is a roof rack a modification??? My panda is permanent unless I am driving a long way on a motorway! Just changed the front bumper, saving £600 but it was a real pig....

Attachments

• IMG_9615.JPG
    IMG_9615.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9614.JPG
    IMG_9614.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9612.JPG
    IMG_9612.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9611.JPG
    IMG_9611.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9606.JPG
    IMG_9606.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
I am thinking the lpg system may not have been factory fitted by fiat because the v5c does not describe it as dynamic plus 16v bifuel

Last edited:
Hi, all! Thanks for your speed replies. Interesting re imported as technically my 09 Panda was made in Poland but not considered imported! Also some companies here make LPG variants to sell abroad (my nephew is a senior engineer for Ford and says they do that, using BRC LPG system - which is the same as mine)! I looked up the literature accompanying the car from the Italian guy who buys, does up and resells Fiats and Alfas and I have the service/aftercare booklet for another Multipla! - I'll post that elsewhere as he/she probably has mine - so much for FSH! Just FYI the reg is GJ03EYV (taxed & insured). If the owner is a member I hope this gets picked up as last service was 28/7/20 at Lusardi Motors in Hackney. I have contacted my seller in case there was a swap. I've attached a couple of pics of the relevant pages. There is no way for me to trace the new owner.

My VIN is ZFA18600002219925 which comes up as Petrol on Vin.info I've attached a (small selfie) pic of the V5, detail 2D is Variant AXC1A. Reg no is PF54EOL. Taxation class is not an issue for me, although CPZ might be in effect. I am only running on LPG at the mo in London anyway as hardly drive at all, better for pollution too! Fuel Type on V5 is Petrol. The (wrong) booklet I have does have a box for a version code.

I definitely need to pay up.....! Maybe it will stop 'Timing Out' as I send and lose all my typing (back up in Notes first now!).

Thanks again, all!!

Hope this helps others in the same situation. An internet search was useless!

I also forgot about the tow bar modification I ought to declare, ooops, that may bump the premium up anyway!!

Is a roof rack a modification??? My panda is permanent unless I am driving a long way on a motorway! Just changed the front bumper, saving £600 but it was a real pig....

Tow bar isn’t rateable by Aviva luckily. Only the LPG system.

That’s a BRC Sequent 24 system, very good systems (and Italian funny enough) but defo after market and not OEM. Same system I’ve got on my Panda and had fitted to my previous Stilo in 2009.

Technically your car should have been registered as gas bi/fuel when modified. Not even sure if you’re breaking the law or not having the wrong fuel class - might be worth checking. You’re also over paying on your RFL as a result if nothing else.

I think CNG is what FIAT call 'propane'

LPG is termed GPL : Petroleum Gas

Not Natural Gas ;)

As I said the taxation:VED is a minefield

DVLA told me converting an unleaded vehicle to LPG wouldnt change taxation class.. despite 'dual fuel' new registrations being ZERO VED :eek:

Cmg is definitely not propane
It's compressed methane/natural gas far more common on the content then in the UK where it's only used by hgvs

With regards to the premium on standard vs. modification, a modificaton doesn't necessarily mean big premiums. I have another car which is converted to LPG and the price I had to pay when I had it modified was around £30, and that probably included an admin charge. It's a 2015 Suzuki Celerio and costs under £300 to insure, its less than £100 more than insuring my much older Avantime on a much lower miles per year policy. However, I do find that when I do my comparison search, much less companies come up with a quote, so going straight to a current insurer could cost over the odds if they are not in the market for insuring LPG (in my experience, companies use certain things to be competitve on, whether it be age or types of car, or modifications, and being with a different company can mean bigger premiums).

LPG is a mix of propane and butane, the ratios vary though. CNG is compressed natural gas, so basically what comes out of your mains gas supply, but compressed (I did once see a company selling a compressor, so you could fill your car from home).

Back