General Best way to cover up this piece of rust?

Currently reading:
General Best way to cover up this piece of rust?

Hi,

As my car has pretty severe clear coat failure on the roof (getting worse by the day), and completely rusted through rear wheel arches/floor... I'm just gonna try and get it through to 1st September when the MOT is due then scrap.

In the mean time though, I'd like to cover this piece of rust (in picture) up with something. Is there some kind of plastic trim that goes round the outer wheel arches? Or something I could make?

Punto 3 door 2001 ELX

Thanks,

Olly

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 63
I agree with fingers, it isn't worth hiding the rust as he said it will fail MOT for obvious reasons. Not only will you get more than £80 or so for it you'll also have that piece of mind your car is safe to drive and safe for the next owner if you sell it, I had to pay out for rust a week or so ago. And it cost me an arm and leg! But least I have that piece of mind my car won't fall to pieces while doing 80 down the m1 :D

You mean something like this...?
That looks good thanks I may try it although I only need 2.
I don't see the logic.

If the rust is within 1 foot of a suspension mount or seatbelt anchor it will fail MOT.

Weld it up. That way it'll pass the MOT and you'll get more than £80 or so for it.

I agree with fingers, it isn't worth hiding the rust as he said it will fail MOT for obvious reasons. Not only will you get more than £80 or so for it you'll also have that piece of mind your car is safe to drive and safe for the next owner if you sell it, I had to pay out for rust a week or so ago. And it cost me an arm and leg! But least I have that piece of mind my car won't fall to pieces while doing 80 down the m1 :D

I thought about that but I only bought the car for £400 and to do both wheel arches, the roof and underside really dont seem worth it.

What you going to do about the floor though?
I had the holes filled in but theres still pretty bad rust. Im just covering this bit up as its the only visible bit, then scrapping when MOT due.

Having trouble with the engine now, engine light came on and went to half power.

With that, the rust and the clear coat failure - its not sellable or worth repairing isit?

So i may get rid of it now. Im reluctant to spend any money on it at all. Especially since the clutch is on its way out too.

Pretty hard to maintain a car without spending any money on it....

For me, clear coat is not worth you worrying about.

If the rust can be repaired economically, I'd keep it.

But you've still got to buy something else if you get rid of it

That's just cars in general, when one problem crops up then 9/10 another will crop up too it sucks and always kills the bank balance. But how I see it you could get rid of this car and buy a rust bucket or a car with more problems than this one without you even knowing, my Punto MK2 when it failed it's initial MOT on the 6th of this month. The fails were endless and I thought do I scrap it or cough up the money and get it through another MOT and I chose cough up the money and get it through another MOT, as much as I hated forking out tons of money but it's gone to good use and for my own safety of course and my passengers.

Just think about it before hitting the scrap it bandwagon. :)

Last edited:
Back