Be careful on these wintery roads im lucky to be alive!

Currently reading:
Be careful on these wintery roads im lucky to be alive!

Yes they were 15s cant remember size now think it was the latter of two sizes mentioned

they also come in 16s but they are few and far between mine were 15s

POC - think the tyre was after as no tyre debris in the road and it spun into a kerb before flippin i imagine that was the tyre that took the first impact

As said before we will never know unless we had the tyres and inspected them but they are long gone

well i wasnt there when they did MOT :p didnt even though it needed replacing, im usually good at spotting things like that

Last edited:
Christ, a bit of ice and a centimetre or so of snow and there's been jackknifing lorries, cars in ditches, even a death (in Scotland, don't know about England).

What is it gonna be like when it really starts to freeze/snow?

Christ, a bit of ice and a centimetre or so of snow and there's been jackknifing lorries, cars in ditches, even a death (in Scotland, don't know about England).

What is it gonna be like when it really starts to freeze/snow?

I think a lot of people underestimate the weather and make the same mistakes you've made in your post.

You don't need inches of ice or snow to find yourself off the road or spinning, you just need a tiny bit of ice to cause problems.Obviously the more ice and snow the worse, but it only takes a little bit to cause problems.

As Applesei's crash shows, you don't even need snow or ice.....

I think a lot of people underestimate the weather and make the same mistakes you've made in your post.

You don't need inches of ice or snow to find yourself off the road or spinning, you just need a tiny bit of ice to cause problems.Obviously the more ice and snow the worse, but it only takes a little bit to cause problems.

As Applesei's crash shows, you don't even need snow or ice.....

It might have come across that way (underestimating) but that's not what I meant.

I guess I could have worded it better. My point was people not driving to the conditions, and the conditions aren't what we would consider 'extreme', so imagine the carnage if the weather does turn 'extreme'.

It might have come across that way (underestimating) but that's not what I meant.

I guess I could have worded it better. My point was people not driving to the conditions, and the conditions aren't what we would consider 'extreme', so imagine the carnage if the weather does turn 'extreme'.

Fair point. I guess people who got through he weather the last couple of winters got a bit complacent and thought "ooh it's only a little bit of ice and snow" BOOM!

I think they also see 'Never better prepared, gritting 24/7' etc and think 'yeah it's fine to do 90mph in the outside lane even though it's -4C'

I know for a fact the jacknifed lorry on the m8 was going faster than 56mph, in the fast lane.

I think they also see 'Never better prepared, gritting 24/7' etc and think 'yeah it's fine to do 90mph in the outside lane even though it's -4C'

I know for a fact the jacknifed lorry on the m8 was going faster than 56mph, in the fast lane.

Yup. I honestly think we should move towards all new cars being supplied with a winter set of tyres or something and it being compulsory for HGV's to be fitted with winter tyres from November to the end of March. If people can get through winter without winter tyres then fine, they should be allowed to, but we should start to encourage people to use them.

I'm not in anyway suggesting that winter tyres are pointless but i think that educating drivers on how to drive in snow would be more advantagious.

I'm not claiming to be any kind of driving god but last winter I drove around a 4x4 (with M&S tyres) that was stuck on hill, I was driving a Toyota Avensis fitted with Federal tyres.

After parking up at home (just round the corner) I wandered back to the still stuck Landrover and suggested to the driver that flooring the accelerator when the wheels spin may not be the course of action, his reply was "what do you know about it?" I couldn't resist replying that I was the guy who just drove past him in a 2WD car with crap tyres and left him to it.

I couldn't resist replying that I was the guy who just drove past him in a 2WD car with crap tyres and left him to it.

(y)

Reminds me of that French & Saunders sketch with the two old country women....

'His Land Rover got stuck halfway up the driveway'

What did you do?'

'We pulled him out with the mini'

:D

Yeah, glad you're ok matey, but, in fairness, the back of my Panda looks like that every time Mrs. Beard backs it onto the drive.

I've become a dab hand with a panel hammer and plastic padding of late.

...I know for a fact the jacknifed lorry on the m8 was going faster than 56mph, in the fast lane...
how so?

...I honestly think we should move towards all new cars being supplied with a winter set of tyres or something and it being compulsory for HGV's to be fitted with winter tyres from November to the end of March...

wouldn't education be a better option for prevention? rather than bundling an extra set of tyres with every new car which would just give people a false sense of security i say we give them all a set of the narrowest, hardest compound hoops that money can buy and see how they fair with the great british rain. diesel is just as much of a problem in some areas than ice is in others!

What? Are there certain areas where diesel is constantly spilled more than others?

Yes....... Locally there is three roundabouts in a row which are horrendous, there is a chemical plant and a 3 filling stations and a couple of HGV yards A agricultural repair unit. with in a 3 mile stretch 2 of filling stations are favourite for HGVs they brim their tanks and enter the roundabouts and the fuel slops out of the breather... In summer couple that with the amount of tonnage polishing the tarmac and rubber scuffing off tyres then add a shower of rain....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=how...=97zket5nqCAEaDgAiBjR1A&cbp=12,227.75,,0,5.55

Guess what they put on the approaches.... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=how...z8yp0g1sah-3xxiNFw&cbp=12,44.35,,0,21.93&z=19

;)

Last edited:
Back