Technical Battery light comes on of a morning

Currently reading:
Technical Battery light comes on of a morning

Morning!

My battery light seems to be coming on of its own accord on cold mornings!

On Saturday I left home at 8am for work and within 10 minutes of leaving my battery light came on.

I've had this problem before that turned out to be the spring tensioner had snapped on the alternator belt so it was slack and not charging the battery. I turned round and headed home, the power steering failed as I pulled onto my drive.

I took the battery out and left it on charge over the weekend as I'd booked in for a garage on Monday afternoon.

I reattached the battery and checked all the connectors were tight between the battery and the alternator on Monday and left about 12pm for the garage.
All the way there, the light didnt come on at all, no problems.
I even resorted to turning everything electrical on that I possibly could to try and drain the battery, so I had lights, foglights, air con, demister on and the battery light still stayed off.

Got a phone call within the hour from the garage saying that they couldnt find anything wrong with it, they'd tested the alternator and it was charging fine.

I picked the car up yesterday afternoon and had a drive about in it shopping and visiting people.... the usual stop and start stuff.... and again had no problems. No battery light on.

Then this morning I left at 7am for work and within a minute the battery light came on again and stayed on. I checked under the bonnet and everything seems fine, the alternator belts tight and going round, no excess play. Its baffling me.

Last edited:
Battery is only 6 month old.

Took it to Halfords and they checked it over, nothing wrong with it.

Its as if the alternator is intermittent or its not charging the battery when the battery drops below a certain percentage, I cant think of any other reason it would work fine all yesterday after it had been on charge

I've just had exactly the same thing and had to get the alternator replaced.

Had the same symptoms over a few weeks, had two different diagnostics ran on it, the alternator and battery were both tested and found to be fine. Neither of the garages could explain it as no fault codes were registered. It eventually gave in whilst I was driving and I had to get towed to the garage. Was £220 all-in.

Back