Technical Bad engine start after short drive

Currently reading:
Technical Bad engine start after short drive

alexej21

Hello Guys,

Fiat Bravo II, 1,9 MJet, 88KW. Manual trans. , 45.000Km

My problem:

The car starts engine perfectly in any termerature in Summer or Winter. Cold starts is not a problem.

The problem is start of engine after short drive.

If I drive > round 20 km then I can start engine again without any problem.

But if I drive cold car only about 2km to shop, stop for minutes, then the car is cranking almost 6 second, sometimes even failed to start and I need to crank again.

Few times when cranking failed the car indicated error message for few second: Radiator water temperator, stop engine and the gauge of water temperate goes to maximum and then immediately back. - The car is in reality cold.

They told me in FIAT that the car is OK :bang:

THe battery is OK and I'm waiting few seconds before start.

Could some water temperature sensor do this ?

Thanks for help guys !

Same engine as you. The longer start with the hot water warning happens to me sometimes but at random.

For your case I would think the battery needs replacing, the short drives are causing problems because your alternator didn't have time to recharge the battery.
On a normal battery that's not a problem because it can take many starts before needing a full charge.

If your battery's new (like mine) and it still does it then you just need to let your engine heat up for a few more seconds before turning the key.

Last edited:
You have the exact same problem as I do by the sounds of it. I changed my temperature sensor last week (easy enough to do yourself and <£10 for the part - I didn't bother draining the coolant and all went well) and that has cured the 'high radiator coolant temperature' error. However I still have intermittent starting problem.

So far I've checked the battery, the glow plugs (using the stilo guide) and the injector compensation values (multiecuscan) and they all seem fine. I'm tempted to just throw in the towel and take it to a garage.

Thanks for hints guys.

Are you sure about the battery?

The battery is 4 years old, but it seems to be OK. It is able to crank the engine for very long time even in -15 celsium. I tested battery using resisting-volt-meter...

I think the battery is not the problem. I tried to use voltmeter with strong resistor. The battery is still good.

This problem is killing me.I'm almost ashamed to start the car in public (n)

If u have error Radiator water temperator and they said everthing is ok than u have to change the service, because any error is looged in ecuscan.
Some guys changed the software for better engine start...

What u can do is:
1. wait for a little longer when starting the car and start it without holding clutch...neutral (like tad bravo said)

2. mjet machine is more sensitive on quality of fuel then classic jtd so u have more then 50% chances that u have dirty injectors, try some good injector cleaner and mix about 250ml per 20-30L of fuel, then go drive in high rpm.

3. For 100% better startup change the engine mount/holder ... number 51811543, this is the main problem of 1.9 88kw mjet machine!

Battery, yes, 60ah for 1.9 diesel is for my opinion bad (FIAT!!)...my battery gone last year and i change it for 74ah with better start run/stream.

I have done this listed things i no more problems and of course remaped to 150hp 330nm.

Have fun

Problem solved.

I removed EGR valve and the car is now startinng perfectly.

Thank your for help.

Back