Technical Automatic Climate Control

Currently reading:
Technical Automatic Climate Control

I was at first rather doubtful about the climate control system but having used it for a year now I think it's great. My only gripe is that it's fiddly to get just a fresh air fan at face level (without heating or cooling). It can be done, but the fan often needs to be readjusted when the car's started.

I did wonder about that, but the times I want a cool breeze from outside I just lower the roof :p

Make sure you have the snow button on because without using air con it doesn't always demist.

Can you retro fit auto climate control in to ones with the knobs? I have the 500s and hate the knobs. Just want it all done automatically. Sounds lazy but I am used to gentle air at the right temp rather than fiddling to find it myself.

Can you retro fit auto climate control in to ones with the knobs? I have the 500s and hate the knobs. Just want it all done automatically. Sounds lazy but I am used to gentle air at the right temp rather than fiddling to find it myself.

Anything is possible, but no it's not practical. I've got ACC and would prefer knobs. With ACC changing one setting can affect others and you end up fiddling with it a lot more than simple knobs.

Easier and cheaper to sell the car and buy one with CC (y)

What makes the cost inhibitive? Was thinking of finding the unit panel on a wreck or something, but my concern was the plugs in dash etc.

What makes the cost inhibitive? Was thinking of finding the unit panel on a wreck or something, but my concern was the plugs in dash etc.

Labour, its about 12 hours work to completely rip the entire dash out (including retaining frame, which means doors need to be removed also), then you've got the change the engine canbus system and body computer to recognise the CC system, and wire it all up.

Someone done it in a Stilo to prove it could be done, but unless doing it yourself, you're probably looking at close to £1k for parts and labour, and thats if you'll find a company / garage happy to complete this job for you.

Wow, I would have though it may have just being a plug that sorted the computer out - when not connected it knows it's the ACC isn't there. The cost saving by going down this path and making so many changes through other items is a joke. I'm simple but surely going to another level would have been sensible for easy manufacturing and plant work surely?! Crazy

Wow, I would have though it may have just being a plug that sorted the computer out - when not connected it knows it's the ACC isn't there. The cost saving by going down this path and making so many changes through other items is a joke. I'm simple but surely going to another level would have been sensible for easy manufacturing and plant work surely?! Crazy

Not really, its easier for them to use only the correct wiring and computers etc required in the car, rather than just fitted them to all cars even if not required I suppose. But then like you say, makes what should be easy changes a lot more difficult at a later date.

Similar applies with retro fitting front fogs lamps, looks simple, but you'll never be able to get them to function with the dash switch and come up with a light on the dash to show that they're on as you would have if it rolled out of the factory with them fitted.

i am on my 3rd 500
in a 105bhp S this time and its my first climate control one
i bloody hate it, i think the instruction book is more than useless
and i have some questions about it
if you select auto does this mean the AIR CON is on even if you want the car heating up? cant be ecomonic for the engine if it is on
i have tried not to use auto unless its a hot day and want chilling!
but now it is cooler using amnual to set a temp and get the car warmed up is great if your only doing 10 miles, but after that just the blower seems to continue to work and the heat drops off!! any advice
and one final thing
in the old models with normal blower controls what ever you had set when you turned the engine off was what you got when you switched it back on
with the climate control 8 times out of 10 the blower goes back no switched off no matter how long or short the engine is switched off, i find this really annoying

i am on my 3rd 500
in a 105bhp S this time and its my first climate control one
i bloody hate it, i think the instruction book is more than useless
and i have some questions about it
if you select auto does this mean the AIR CON is on even if you want the car heating up? cant be ecomonic for the engine if it is on

This is your problem, you've got the usual assumption that AC is for cooling only, which it isn't.

AC light means its 'active' not 'on', IE it'll only be used if it'll help, IE remove moisture for the air etc. So have it on with auto selected is a good thing as its the only way it can be guaranteed to fully regulate the temp in the cabin.

i have tried not to use auto unless its a hot day and want chilling!

No, use it ALL the time!!

but now it is cooler using amnual to set a temp and get the car warmed up is great if your only doing 10 miles, but after that just the blower seems to continue to work and the heat drops off!! any advice
and one final thing
in the old models with normal blower controls what ever you had set when you turned the engine off was what you got when you switched it back on
with the climate control 8 times out of 10 the blower goes back no switched off no matter how long or short the engine is switched off, i find this really annoying

What temp are you using? Set it to about 21.5c (this is what most corporate buildings and offices are set to) and it'll pump out heat when the car is cold (but the engine is warm enough to start pumping out heat) and then start to slow down just to maintain this temp once its got there.

Stick it to 25C+ and this time of year it's likely to never get there and just keep throwing heat out at full pelt (y)

Re it being off when you switch on, this will happen, and is normal, if the car is cold, to prevent it just chucking cold air into the already cold car, as if the engine block is cold you won't be getting any heat. This is actually a rather neat feature. So unless you're steamed up, leave it in auto and the temp about 21.5 and when the engine is warm enough (after about 3-4 min) it'll start pumping heat out. If you've steamed up from the beginning of a journey then hit the windscreen button to get it pumping conditioned air onto the screen from the start.

I think you're not realising just how well programmed and automated the system is, and wanting to think that you can do a better job ;)

I too have the intermittent problem of the ACC losing it's last setting. Of course, works fine when I'm at the dealer.

MEP, the ACC is stupid. It can't know what I actually want, and it turns off altogether on recycle. Manual controls please.

I too have the intermittent problem of the ACC losing it's last setting. Of course, works fine when I'm at the dealer.

MEP, the ACC is stupid. It can't know what I actually want, and it turns off altogether on recycle. Manual controls please.

when you say looses last setting do you mean fan speed? Mine works fine but as MEP explained it will not return to original speed until engine has warmed back up so maybe when you went to the dealer this was the case? I regularly run mine with compressor off and air to screen but the auto functions of fan and temp still seem to work fine. If in doubt switch to Auto, set temp and leave well alone and it will do the rest! The controls can be a bit confusing until you get your head around them but then its a doddle. ACC works very well IMO.

Last edited:
The controls can be a bit confusing until you get your head around them but then its a doddle.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sorry but ACC is the easiest thing to use. set to auto, set temperature and forget. If its very cold and you want to defrost the windscreen hit the big button on the right. How difficult can it be???????

There is a lot of misinformation about AC draining HP and increasing MPG. In hot weather its cheaper to run AC than overcome the drag caused by open windows and in the winter its better to have AC than no visability as the AC keeps the windows clear. The number of numptys I see with AC fitted cars driving around with misted side windows - there is no excuse. It will also keep the seals in the compressor lubricated which means it won't need replacing (You can buy a lot of petrol for the price of a compressor ;)).

exactly. what, am i too stupid to regulate my own temperature and decide when i need ac or not?

Back