Anyone tried Auto socks

Currently reading:
Anyone tried Auto socks

but you didnt get stuck though? that's what they are supposed to prevent, so if you didn't get stuck they worked

Well I didnt get stuck in the way in either really. I put them on as there was a definate layer of snow on the roads all the way along my route and there wasnt that much grip which is good conditions to use them

Think I may get a set of thes. Probably a silly question but how do you get them on surely you shouldnt have to jack up the car to put them on. Just that I was watching a winter road rescue prog the other day and the guy was jacking up the corners to put them on ?

Think I may get a set of thes. Probably a silly question but how do you get them on surely you shouldnt have to jack up the car to put them on. Just that I was watching a winter road rescue prog the other day and the guy was jacking up the corners to put them on ?

you put them on most of the wheel move car a bit then put the rest on.
They are only to give you traction when you normally wouldn't get any, they are not a replacement for snow tyres

Tbh what did you expect with summers on the rear, snow socks are only suppose to keep you moving as Dave has pointed out, and I'd agree with him and say they've worked.

As to you comment about the person with winters nearly loosing it around a corner all I can say is I only nearly lost the Stilo with them once last winter on sheet ice, and because I was been a knob tbh. Will be interesting to see who with them smacks their motor up first trying to be cleaver with them, something which they're not there for. (n)

Pah, Flash gits, auto socks indeed. My socks are fully manual and I don't think it takes more than 10 seconds per sock to put on.....once I've found a matching pair in the wardrobe that is, and another thing is.....ah; hang on a minute. I'll just have a look at the thread. Be back in a minute.

Ahem, yes I see now, right, he says, trying to maintain composure. Here's something in a similar vein. Are we going over the top with winter tyres? Have we fallen for company hype? I suppose it depends on where you live, but.....

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Commun...2/Why-some-of-us-regret-fitting-winter-tyres/

how fast was slow? someone in the winter tyre thread just said they almost lost the back end doing 30 on a twisty road, and that was on 4 winter tyres

15-20 mph, pretty straight roads.

Tbh what did you expect with summers on the rear, snow socks are only suppose to keep you moving as Dave has pointed out, and I'd agree with him and say they've worked.

Well I didn't get stuck when I didn't have them on either. I'm driving to Sheffield tonight, much more likely to get stuck on the 7 hills of Sheffield rather than the vale of York; although I'm not sure how much snow is going to be left and if I'll need them at all

15-20 mph, pretty straight roads.

Well I didn't get stuck when I didn't have them on either. I'm driving to Sheffield tonight, much more likely to get stuck on the 7 hills of Sheffield rather than the vale of York; although I'm not sure how much snow is going to be left and if I'll need them at all

I've just been to Don Valley and back and that part's not too bad if you're sticking to the main roads.:)

Dom

Very little snow left in Sheffield. A few inches left on my street which hasnt been plowed or gritted but managed without them driving sensibly

who made this law that socks need to be matching? apart from when they are new i havent worn a matching pair for years and no one notices :confused:

that link needs to be in the 500 section ;)
Dave, please, please there are standards, not only of behaviour but also sartorial elegance. I personally never wear anything but a Dinner Suit, starched white shirt and bow tie when logged onto FIAT Forum, so matching socks to slip inside my patent leather shoes is just the finishing touch.

Er, why does the thread need to be in the 500 section?

Good link the beard, but sounds like they're using them in the wrong conditions, now the snow is here though they should be able to do a good summer tyre test :) lol.
I know we're talking on here about putting things onto tyres in order to gain extra grip, but I included the link to Car Magazine because winter tyres are a variation in as much as they also help to gain extra grip in winter conditions. I suppose the intention was to suggest that auto socks or the strap on dooberies may be a better bet; apart that is from having to put them on or take them off in adverse conditions, although the gloves may help.

Once winter tyres are on, unless you work in a tyre bay, they're on until you are pretty damn certain it isn't going to snow again this winter. Seeing the Met Office seem unable to predict what's going to happen this afternoon it's probably unlikely they're going to be accurate about what happens in two or three months time.

Suppose it doesn't snow tomorrow, or even the next week, how long would you leave it before taking the snow tyres off and put the all season ones on, only to find out it snows again in late February for a week, then gets unseasonably mild; you take them off and it snows in March. Bugger, put them back on, but everyone with a set is going to be invading National Tyres, ATS and all the independant fitters. There'll be charges every time you want to change your tyres.

A bit of a bonanza for the entire tyre industry from manufacturers to distributors to fitters. Huzzah for hype

Put my snow socks on for last night & this morning's driving, off this afternoon once the roads were clear enough. Still got to try my new 'socks' (michelin mesh). Still getting good value from my £50 socks.

All the weight in the front... Made a lot of difference :p.

yeh and your snow chains :p

2012-bmw-1-series_100334419_m.jpg

Back