Technical Anyone on here changed the DRL lights for LED ones yet

Currently reading:
Technical Anyone on here changed the DRL lights for LED ones yet

The problem is that no LED or HID replacement for a filament lamp can be E marked. ..................................

Please read original post for full details

Robert G8RPI.

Totally agree. I did state that all this lighting legislation is complex and a potential mine field. Whilst I'll sensibly stand by all vehicle modifications being advised to and approval obtained from one's insurance company this also begs the question as to "do they?" fully understand all the legal aspects. And having said this this is why many insurance companies take a NO NO NO stance.

Potential, no actual, minefield for those looking to deviate from production standard vehicle specification.

Would be interested to know from anyone on here whos fitted led drl bulbs if they dim when headlights go on,or off when indicating,thanks.

That surprised me too ,not having washer`s ,even my smaller 500 twin air xenon's has washer`s, it sounds like cost cutting to me ?

I think it's due to the fact, that they use 25W xenon bulps (on the 500X) that put out less than 2000 lumen, which means the headlights do not require washer and auto leveling system.
I can't find the excact EU regulative, but it should be out there somewhere.

Whats your view santa on replacing the regular drl bulb in the 500x for an led one?

I checked mine, not only do they turn off when the indicators are on, but they also dim when the main head lights are on.

So there, all set (y)

Would be interested to know from anyone on here whos fitted led drl bulbs if they dim when headlights go on,or off when indicating,thanks.

Thanks for that going to order mine now,do you get any error messages on dashboard with yours,or are yours canbus ones do you know?

Thanks for the link.
I just couldn't find it :)
(I'm a bit confused, that You actually disliked my post - :D )

I'm confused as well because I'm 99.9% sure I hit the Like Vote button. I can only assume I inadvertently move the mouse when clicking.

Maybe a moderator can UNDO (I can't) that vote?

And whilst any moderator is watching/correcting the vote then I suggest maybe a Vote Confirmation Dialogue would be a good forum enhancement.

Meanwhile best I can do Santa is to thumbs up on this related post. (y)

I think it's due to the fact, that they use 25W xenon bulps (on the 500X) that put out less than 2000 lumen, which means the headlights do not require washer and auto leveling system.
I can't find the excact EU regulative, but it should be out there somewhere.

Here is a good read on 25watt Xenon`s
http://www.carlightblog.com/tag/25-watt-xenon/

There is no way that those LEDs could provide the correct illumination in a fitting designed for an incandescent filament lamp. They obviously radiate forward only and from a position well in front of the filament in an approved lamp. Illegal and highly likely to dazzle other road users.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
There is no way that those LEDs could provide the correct illumination in a fitting designed for an incandescent filament lamp. They obviously radiate forward only and from a position well in front of the filament in an approved lamp. Illegal and highly likely to dazzle other road users.

I see your point,these are a bit too long for the lamp,a shorter one would be more suitable I think,with regard to dazzling other drivers,surely if they only operate during daylight hours,they would not dazzle other drivers ,and they go off when headlights come on,or when indicators are used.:) I have led ones on my current car and have had them on for 3 years, I have never been flashed for dazzling anyone during daylight hours,and I also informed the insurance company about them,which didn't make any difference to my insurance,i think led lights are safer during the day as less likely for some one to pull out on you at a junction,just wish fiat had fitted proper led daytime lights :confused:

Like I said these lighting (and any other vehicle modification) become extremely detailed and complex. As you/I have correctly pointed out manufacturers (including light cluster/unit mgs.) go to great time and expense in creating a combined package to meet homologation requirements and *any* item change within that unit could be detrimental to that's units performance / homologation / legal compliance.

Enough said.

Thanks for all the very informative replies,but still getting led ones for mine when it comes:) as I feel it makes the car safer and more easily seen ,during the day,as long as I inform insurance company and there happy,i will fit them,thanks to all who replied to this thread:)(y)

:)Just changed the DRLs on our 500x Cross Plus to LEDs. I used the 382 Twenty20 Cree LED 12v P21W Canbus White Bayonet bulbs from Autobulbs Direct. They are not the cheapest but dont throw up any faults. They match the Zenon headlights perfectly and look really crisp and clean - far better!

Where did you order these from Barryhills? I too am interested as incandescent bulbs as DRLs in 2016 is backward thinking.

:)Just changed the DRLs on our 500x Cross Plus to LEDs. I used the 382 Twenty20 Cree LED 12v P21W Canbus White Bayonet bulbs from Autobulbs Direct. They are not the cheapest but dont throw up any faults. They match the Zenon headlights perfectly and look really crisp and clean - far better!

Not the cheapest, but still illegal for road use
thumb_down.gif

Back