Antifreeze in Washer fluid

Currently reading:
Antifreeze in Washer fluid

Can someone explain the ratio used when adding antifreeze. I have some castrol summer coolant/antifreeze, which for the last few months I have added about 1:12 anti freeze:water. Someone said it damages paintwork? This smells of BS to me.

I don't use 'screenwash' just use water as I rarely need to actually clean the screen, just wash off dust, which can easily be achieved with just water. My primary concern is, this winter, the bottle freezes and expands. How can I stop this happening?

Although lots of questions, ultimately, what ratio of anti freeze to water should I be using?

thanks

Errr, anti-freeze is normally to go in your engine coolant, and yes chances are if that's what you've been using in your screenwash it may well damage your paintwork. Most screenwash already has (a different type of) antifreeze in it and so will work down to a certain temperature straight from the bottle, for summer use you merely dilute it. Castrol summer coolant/antifreeze is definitely for your engine coolant system and should NOT be used in the screenwash. Bottom line - get some proper screenwash.

Interesting. How do we know it damages paintwork? I've not seen any damage and it's been used for months now. Had it on other cars for 10+ years and no issue. I just wanted to settle the ratio debate.

What kind of damage is it claimed to do?

I appreciate your comment

i am no expert but i dont think you should be using Antifreeze in your screen washer!
Halfords do some extreme weather screen wash,goes down to several degrees below freezing.

i am no expert but i dont think you should be using Antifreeze in your screen washer!

Why not? It stops water (and other stuff) from freezing. Isn't that what we want?

All I am hearing now is that it damages paintwork. All I ask is actual proof (and not some article) showing the damage to paintwork from antifreeze.

Also I did say I used it 1:12, not neat, so don't suggest I said neat!

Why not? It stops water (and other stuff) from freezing. Isn't that what we want?

All I am hearing now is that it damages paintwork. All I ask is actual proof (and not some article) showing the damage to paintwork from antifreeze.

Also I did say I used it 1:12, not neat, so don't suggest I said neat!

For peace of mind id be using the correct Screenwash instead of antifreeze, pretty sure antifreeze actually costs more as well.. so god knows why you're doing it.

I never suggested you did use it neat, and nor am I going to pour some neat onto my paintwork to prove a point. If you want to continue doing the wrong thing and not take anyone's advice then fine, be our guest. You asked for advice - we gave - take it if you wish, but stop arguing if you don't wish to take it.
I can't find any actual pictures of what ethylene glycol would do to paint but everything I read says it's bad and shouldn't be used in screenwash because it will affect paint and rubber seals. Did you even read Andy Monty's post?

Edit: Oh yeah, and as Rawb said, antifreeze/summer coolant is more expensive than even the best quality screenwashes. :nutter:

My god do people jump down your throat here or what? I didn't get ragey at anyone, I merely asked, is this just a rumour or is there some evidence to back it up?
Please don't get the idea that I am raging at you, but just because you say it damages paintwork does not mean that it's true.

Yes I read his post but the clue is in the name. Anti Freeze implies it will not freeze, and if used correctly, will stop the item it is mixed with freezing too. Regardless of what chemicals are used, it still does the same job............

And with regards to Rawb's point, I doubt that. I've got 4 litres of Castrol anti freeze for £5. Then I dilute this maybe 1:10, I have 40 litres of antifreeze screenwash. You tell me to go use 5l of screenwash neat, at £6.

40 / 5 = 8, 8 x 6 = 48.

£5 or £48. Which is cheaper?

My god do people jump down your throat here or what? I didn't get ragey at anyone, I merely asked, is this just a rumour or is there some evidence to back it up?
Please don't get the idea that I am raging at you, but just because you say it damages paintwork does not mean that it's true.

Yes I read his post but the clue is in the name. Anti Freeze implies it will not freeze, and if used correctly, will stop the item it is mixed with freezing too. Regardless of what chemicals are used, it still does the same job............

And with regards to Rawb's point, I doubt that. I've got 4 litres of Castrol anti freeze for £5. Then I dilute this maybe 1:10, I have 40 litres of antifreeze screenwash. You tell me to go use 5l of screenwash neat, at £6.

40 / 5 = 8, 8 x 6 = 48.

£5 or £48. Which is cheaper?

Im just going on prices of Antifreeze and Screenwash from where I purchase both from, Antifreeze is much more expensive.

Antifreeze does damage paintwork, I just thought you'd listen to Monty or myself.

Note the words 'Sadly I think anyone stupid enough...'

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47647

From the very same link I could just as easily say there is evidence it does no damage:

Oh dear - I've been adding a dash of antifreeze to the washer bottle for the last 15 winters....

Never noticed any damage to the paintwork though

All you have supplied me with is a link to a forum thread similar to this one where the majority comment that it damages paintwork. So how does that make it true? You repeating that it does damage paintwork, too, does not make it true. For all I know it could be a pack of lies. I simply ask for scientific research to show that it does. Or some kind of pictorial evidence.

As I said, don't take this as an argument, because it isn't, I'm merely enquiring because I am curious, and don't fancy siphoning anti freeze out my washer bottle tomorrow!

From the very same link I could just as easily say there is evidence it does no damage:

All you have supplied me with is a link to a forum thread similar to this one where the majority comment that it damages paintwork. So how does that make it true? You repeating that it does damage paintwork, too, does not make it true. For all I know it could be a pack of lies. I simply ask for scientific research to show that it does. Or some kind of pictorial evidence.

As I said, don't take this as an argument, because it isn't, I'm merely enquiring because I am curious, and don't fancy siphoning anti freeze out my washer bottle tomorrow!

Not entirely sure why you want 'scientific research' - If you've been using it in there for years then whos going to stop you now? If it's working.. go for it, I personally would rather go for the cheaper option that wont deteriorate rubber seals and the top coat of paint.

Just keep it in there, if it takes the paint off your car then you'll learn from it. Sometimes it's just better to be safe than sorry? Expecially when you have a small majority advising against it.

Not entirely sure why you want 'scientific research' - If you've been using it in there for years then whos going to stop you now? If it's working.. go for it, I personally would rather go for the cheaper option that wont deteriorate rubber seals and the top coat of paint.

Just keep it in there, if it takes the paint off your car then you'll learn from it. Sometimes it's just better to be safe than sorry? Expecially when you have a small majority advising against it.

Fair enough, was asking because I wanted to know, now I know. Might get an old bit of metal from scrappy and leave some soaking on it, see what happens. Pictorial evidence!

Fair enough, was asking because I wanted to know, now I know. Might get an old bit of metal from scrappy and leave some soaking on it, see what happens. Pictorial evidence!

Good idea....

but what coolant will you be using and what type of paint will you be testing it on..

MEG, IAT, OAT, HOAT, PEG. to name but 5 types of antifreeze solutions

then 2k or modern water based paints, then factor in if it has clear coat or is a solid colour

what might be ok on one paint finish might not be on another..

Car coolant doesn't just stop the coolent from freezing it contains other stuff depending on type and grade such as lubricants and anti corrosion additives .... even the manufacturers tell you to avoid contact with paintwork,,

http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/file/d5a9dafe6c100949f5f390475eb28e02

Last edited:

Id really like to see that. :D

Now Dave said that though, I previously had a Punto that had an unknown bubbling on the roof and it was almost like oxidation but now he mentions that... it sounds like antifreeze.

Back