Technical Alternator problem?

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator problem?

Icestorm

In my little red shed
Hi
The past couple of days when I have started my car the battery warning light fould fade off instead of going off straight away once the engine has started, then last night the problem started. Going through Mc Donalds drive thu I had to wait for my order so I turned the engine off whilst I waited. Got my order eventually, went to start my car and nothing :eek:. The battery was totally discharged :dead: so I ended up pushing my poor uno out of the drive thru with a huge tailback behind me :cry:. I got a friend to drop his emergency jumpstarter off and without any unnecessary electrics on, every time I turned the headlights or hazard lights on it would just die. I managed to get most of the way home but I did have to push it the last 250m, luckily slightly downhill.
This morning the battery was at 12.2V and my car started first turn of the key although the voltage soon dropped to 7.6V and the engine died. I had the alternator off and the brushes were worn almost completely away so they got replaced. After going over the rest of the electrical parts with my multimeter everything tested ok. Whilst I had the covers off I gave the insides a good cleaning out of all the dust etc. that had collected. After refitting it in my car it seemed that it was working, constant 13.8V at the battery with the engine running.
The problem now is that when I'm driving about town it feels very sluggish and jerky but at higher speeds it doesn't seem too bad.
Any ideas what it could be wrong with it?
Thanks
Icestorm :)

Reset ECU on 1.1 i.e. FIRE engine.

Disconnect battery for a while. Can´t remember for how long. Maybe 10 minutes. Better long than short.

Connect battery.

Start engine.

Let idle until fan cuts in.

Stop engine.

Restart.

Tamtamtaaa, ECU is reset.

I thought it was just the battery disconnection for 10-15 minutes.
Does it also need to stop and restart the engine when the fan cuts in ?

Re: Alternator problem? FIXED!

Hi.
Thanks for your suggestions :). I have done an ECU reset this morning and tightened the alternator belt (it was a bit on the slack side possibly) and now the engine is running nicely. I have noticed that it is running better now than before replacing the alternator brushes, there seems to be more power at lower revs and runs smoother :D
Thanks
icestorm :)

i have the same problem. i mentioned in the other thread but nobody replied .. so i will try the same thing with my uno maybe it'll do the trick (y)

Back