Technical Abarth 2.4 auto box fault - help!

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth 2.4 auto box fault - help!

chrisboulton

my 52 plate fiat stilo 2.4 abath auto gear box has stoped working ?? went out to go to work this morrning , the car started up fine but wen i pushed the semy auto gear stick in to drive it just didnt drive (its as if its in nutrule) can you help if so could you please text me or ring me as i will be happy to call you back thanx .chris 07858972153 or emale me at [email protected] thanx

my 52 plate fiat stilo 2.4 abath auto gear box has stoped working ?? went out to go to work this morrning , the car started up fine but wen i pushed the semy auto gear stick in to drive it just didnt drive (its as if its in nutrule) can you help if so could you please text me or ring me as i will be happy to call you back thanx .chris 07858972153 or emale me at [email protected] thanx

im unsure at the minit do you have anythink in mind
will let you no asap

:( do they still teach english language in school these days??!!

Things to check in order... assuming the car has actually put up a gearbox failure message.

1) Selespeed fluid resevoir. Any oil in it? Is it at Max?

2) Selespeed fluid pressure. Does the pump prime when you open the drivers door? If not, then most likely a new pump is required.

3) Selespeed sensors. If the first two are okay then it's going to b a sensor failure like the clutch sensor or the gear engagement sensors. The only way to be certain is to get the car hooked up to a Fiat Examiner computer to read the fault codes.

In the meantime, you could disconect the battery for at least an hour to reset everything and see how you get on from there... but the reality is that the problem is not going to go away. Get it sorted while you can.

(y)

depends what country you went to school in. op might not use it as first language, we are international forum.

Very true - but the yahoo.co.uk kinda gave it away :D

know any thing about the gearbox fault?
im unsure at the minit do you have anythink in mind
will let you no asap

Agree with Greggers here - did you have any other warning beeps when you turned the key - ASR, ECU faults?

Can you select manual then put the car in gear? Surprised that no warnings were shown during the Start Up check with the amount of sensors and electrics the stilo has.

Could be something as simple as a flat/dead battery. Had a similar fault as you've described (except the car wouldn't start) after replacing my battery. Disconnecting both battery terminals for a couple of hours will reset the ECU, may cure the fault.

Also give the earth plug that goes to wheel arch by battery a good clean that's what my issue was and garage thought it needed new ecu

you are putting your foot on the break when you try to get into 1st yeah?

Seems odd your getting no errors bar airbag light.

Check the earth point I said. Can't miss it.

Do you here the pump prime when you open the door?

you are putting your foot on the break when you try to get into 1st yeah?

Seems odd your getting no errors bar airbag light.

Check the earth point I said. Can't miss it.

Do you here the pump prime when you open the door?

The pump thing was my next question (y)

Ok so pumps fine, I'd say problem lays in the gear selection area, rather than a larger gearbox issue.

With engine off ignition in mar position can you go up through gears with gear stick?

If no perhaps an even/odd gear selection sensor problem?

Gear engaggement selenoid valve or simply switches on gear stick fubared/loose connection.

Clean earth point 1st, it's free, takes 3 mins and requires one spanner and a rub down.

It's just odd no selespeed fault on screen,

I assume car starts as it's stuck in N?

have you tried using the flappy paddle's? or putting it in reverse, my abarth did this once and i put it in reverse then it worked fine :)

Last edited:
some little asbo cu_t smashed my window last night ................... when getting the glass up from the floor i spotted the switch for the pass side airbag , and as the airbag light is on, on the dash i switched it off with the key an tryed the gear box ....... an gess what it works now, but now im in need a drivers side window any one know any where cheap ?,, and as for the airbag/gearbox thing - any ideas ?

Back