Punto (Mk1) 98 sporting 1242cc 16v

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk1) 98 sporting 1242cc 16v

bluestripped

How do I know if the rear shockers need replacing? My problems on my new Punto Mk1 with 58K; is a wheel wobble at 60mph, had all the tyres balanced new track rods and tracking are all spot on. I noticed when doing the weekly shop that the wheel wobble ceased with a shopping load in the back so decided to put a bag of 25kg sand in the back and its solved the wheel wobble and runs smoothly. I am also a big man for the car. My other symptom which throws me, is the car lowers itself from the rear when going over a series of bumps on the road at medium speed and feels as if it wants to move in another direction to where I am steering. Fiat have checked the underside and have checked the rear arm bushes and shockers which they tell me are all OK. So I dunno what to do to try and solve this disconcerting drive. Its fine over bumps at high speed but get to about 60 mph and it feels like its moving over ice. Can anyone tell me what the flock is going on to do this to the car.
I have recently upgraded from a 60 s white T reg and did not have this problem with a similar mileage.

while the car is parked check the wheels for side to side movement if there is it's your trailing arm bush has gone. if no then it leaves you with the shocks and as there only a couple of quid it would be silly not to change them for peace of mind.

My guess is bushes, too. Would be worthwhile checking the wheel bearings.
How do I know if the rear shockers need replacing?
Is a sort of "how long is a peice of string" question. The folk who make them recon they're due for replacement at around 40k miles. The MOT man will tell you they're OK if they pass the bounce test.

There are damper dynomometers out there -- most racing teams of any real repute have them -- which will give you the real answer. But they won't be cheap to use.

The reality is that the OE shocks are pants. Pumping down would indicate to me that they're well stuffed. Monroes (especially their reflex range) are pretty good value for money and can be regarded as a real upgrade.

Back