Punto (Mk1) New guy! How many Punto mk1 owners/former owners on here?

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk1) New guy! How many Punto mk1 owners/former owners on here?

Puntomk1GOAT

I've been driving my Punto mk1 1.2 petrol engine for 8 years now and I only recently got the desire to learn more about it. Better late than never. How many of mk1 owners are here? There's quite a lot of Fiats, just wondering.

Not many, a large portion of this site being mostly english speaking is members in the UK where our weather and use of road salt in the winter turns most cars to rust before their 15th birthday so with the newest mk1s now being 24-25 years old there are very few about.

I have my mk1 cabrio project I am working on and is featured on my youtube channel. There are a few die hard fans that keep hold of old mk1s which are well looked after, but most soon see the scrap yard if they fail an MOT as the cost of repairs quickly exceeds the value of the car.

Not many, a large portion of this site being mostly english speaking is members in the UK where our weather and use of road salt in the winter turns most cars to rust before their 15th birthday so with the newest mk1s now being 24-25 years old there are very few about.

I have my mk1 cabrio project I am working on and is featured on my youtube channel. There are a few die hard fans that keep hold of old mk1s which are well looked after, but most soon see the scrap yard if they fail an MOT as the cost of repairs quickly exceeds the value of the car.
Thanks for the reply! I didn't know that. I live on the Balkan and there are a lot of 1st generation Puntos around. I have no issues with mine, no rust or anything. Funny thing is that I've actually visited several scrapyards around here for minor parts (the front logo/sign thing or the little caps for the alloy wheels) and I haven;t been able to find any mk1s. They're sturdy little buggers, unless you're in the UK or countries with similar climates, I guess.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't know that. I live on the Balkan and there are a lot of 1st generation Puntos around. I have no issues with mine, no rust or anything. Funny thing is that I've actually visited several scrapyards around here for minor parts (the front logo/sign thing or the little caps for the alloy wheels) and I haven;t been able to find any mk1s. They're sturdy little buggers, unless you're in the UK or countries with similar climates, I guess.
That’s good to know, if I need any parts I just need to travel to Serbia, lol
Actually behind Italy Serbia is the 3rd biggest audience on YouTube, it’s cool to know so many of these little cars are still about.

Welcome to the forum be sure to post up some pics of your Punto once you have past the 5 or so posts you have to do before you can post picture

That’s good to know, if I need any parts I just need to travel to Serbia, lol
Actually behind Italy Serbia is the 3rd biggest audience on YouTube, it’s cool to know so many of these little cars are still about.

Welcome to the forum be sure to post up some pics of your Punto once you have past the 5 or so posts you have to do before you can post picture
They're all over the Balkan, very common because they're cheap and easy to maintain. I subbed to your YT channel, cheers!

yes me too, ive got a black 2001 Punto Mk1 (188) HGT with the Abarth package, it has the 188A6.000 engine at 1.8Liter and a 5 speed. gearbox an absolut horror to find spare parts to. currently trying to source a repairkit för the gearselector housing since the gear selector is as precise as a spoon in a bowl of. porridge. or a complete gear selector housing, but the sparepartnr i have for the one in the car : 735276985 is nowhere to be found online.

Attachments

• Puntobak.jpg
    Puntobak.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • Puntofront.jpg
    Puntofront.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
yes me too, ive got a black 2001 Punto Mk1 (188) HGT with the Abarth package, it has the 188A6.000 engine at 1.8Liter and a 5 speed. gearbox an absolut horror to find spare parts to. currently trying to source a repairkit för the gearselector housing since the gear selector is as precise as a spoon in a bowl of. porridge. or a complete gear selector housing, but the sparepartnr i have for the one in the car : 735276985 is nowhere to be found online.
That's a mk2 punto not a mk1 punto

Oh Darn! you are right! feeling a bit stupid now, of course i always forget about the ol 176... well never mind my post here then :oops:😄

That's a Punto mk2 though 😱

Me too, I have one I'm about to break, a 60 Team and my 16v Sporting project that's about to get underway at last.
I've been patiently waiting for the right time to get stuck in and it's now. I've bought the following, NOS panels, wings, doors etc. I've bought NOS rear arms, bushes, sub frame mounts, genuine front legs and new wishbones, genuine rear shockers, NOS rack ends, track rod ends, discs, pads etc. I've replaced the wheels with the correct ones and now the plan is about to start.
I crashed the 60 team 18 months ago and it's never going to be right again, sad but it's going to donate its sub frames and rear axle beam to the Sporting project.
I'm kitted out with the know how and tools to get this right so watch this space, I'm the 15th owner of it and need to correct much abuse but it's done just 62,000 miles.

Me too, I have one I'm about to break, a 60 Team and my 16v Sporting project that's about to get underway at last.
I've been patiently waiting for the right time to get stuck in and it's now. I've bought the following, NOS panels, wings, doors etc. I've bought NOS rear arms, bushes, sub frame mounts, genuine front legs and new wishbones, genuine rear shockers, NOS rack ends, track rod ends, discs, pads etc. I've replaced the wheels with the correct ones and now the plan is about to start.
I crashed the 60 team 18 months ago and it's never going to be right again, sad but it's going to donate its sub frames and rear axle beam to the Sporting project.
I'm kitted out with the know how and tools to get this right so watch this space, I'm the 15th owner of it and need to correct much abuse but it's done just 62,000 miles.
62,000 miles and you're the 15th owner. Sounds like that lad needs some love. Glad to hear he'll be getting some and I love the passion and enthusiasm. I like to keep my car as stock as possible but seeing these Puntos pimped out is awesome. Good luck with everything, I hope the car will be grateful! Mine always is. 🚗🇮🇹

Back