Technical 98 punto 55sx airbag warning light

Currently reading:
Technical 98 punto 55sx airbag warning light

Liquidh2o

Last weekend I changed my instrument cluster for a GT one I got of a friend, just for looks. After fiddling with it to make sure the warning lights and all the icons were working properly, the cluster worked fine.
But atfer two days my airbag light stayed on while driving, so I swapped back to the other cluster thinking it could be because of switching the pcb on the back, same thing... light stays on.

So after doing some research on this forum I checked all the connections from the airbag to check whether they were all connected, took the mass of the battery let it stand for a couple of hours, but no joy.

So from what I understand my only hope now will be to go to a dealership to have them reset the ecu. I have been interested in this whole OBD stuff etc and was wondering if I could do it myself if I bought a OBD scantool, which are basicly equally expensive as going to the dealership.

I checked my engine bay and dashboard and found 2 three pin plugs, I reckon the 1 in the engine bay is the obd plug for the engine and the 1 under the dash for the airbag ecu.

So this got me confused now. Will I need an OBD tool to hook up to the plug in the enginebay and reset the airbag light that way. Or do you need a special airbag scantool for the plug under the dash, to reset the airbag light?

And if I decide to buy a scantool, which protocol does my punto use?:confused:

Back