Technical 75 866 camshaft in a punto 55sx

Currently reading:
Technical 75 866 camshaft in a punto 55sx

Liquidh2o

So today I fitted my Punto with the 866 camshaft I got at the local scrapyard. Now I checked the valve clearances and everything seems fine. As well as the timing unless the crankshaft sprocket moved while I had the belt off, but I doubt that.

Now my problem is that it will go through its revs fine in neutral and it does make a big difference between 3-5k in gear. but when pulling up in 2nd and higher gears, when the engine is under load, it bogs up till around 2.5k. Its really noticeably holding back.

Is this a problem Ill have to deal with, because of the difference in the cam design, or does my ecu still have to relearn? I have driven for about 10miles not revving above 3k and it does not feel like its getting better.

Edit: btw. I have not fitted a sports air filter or exhaust, dont know if that will make any difference tbh.

Does anyone have experienced the same problem after the swap?

Last edited:
Ok, I have driven it a bit more and it feels a little bit better now. Between 2 and 3k it pull really bad. When you floor it, it holds back and will hardly rev up when you let the trottle go a bit like halfway it picks up a bit better.

Really have no idea whats going on :confused:

i think when i put mine in it took a little while (a day at most) for the ecu to learn, but now its fine right throught the rev range. exhaust and air filter are not must havs when putting in a p75 cam.

thanks for the quick reply. Ill drive it around a bit more tomorrow to see if it will get better. I always get worried quickly when something goes wrong with my baby :p

Took it out for another spin today and the power stayed down horribly. So I drove it back home and took of the the timing belt cover and crankshaft pulley and guess what... yes, the timing belt was of by 2 teeth.

After I got it back on right everything was gravy. But now I'm noticing a screeching noise thats really noticeable around 2k rpm. I can only tell its coming from the left side of the engine.

Could it be caused by putting the timing belt on too tight? Hopefully its not caused by putting the other cam in the old cam bearing shells. could this cause screeching noises too? The noise is not constant and seems loudest when I keep the engine around 2k rpm.

Wish me luck when I tear down the punto again tomorrow :cry:

Could it be caused by putting the timing belt on too tight? Hopefully its not caused by putting the other cam in the old cam bearing shells. could this cause screeching noises too? The noise is not constant and seems loudest when I keep the engine around 2k rpm.

Wish me luck when I tear down the punto again tomorrow :cry:
yeah if the cambelt is too tight the noise increases with revs and is like a exectrical noise. did you do the cam bearing shells to the right torque?

yeah if the cambelt is too tight the noise increases with revs and is like a exectrical noise. did you do the cam bearing shells to the right torque?

Yes, I did torque it down correctly and even opened it up again today to double check and everything still looked good. It did end up being the timing belt, which was on a tad too tight. I'm glad its running fine again and no more strange noises. It really goes now, with my new goodies! No need for a fancy power filter (y)

Did you keep the standard throttle body?

Edit: Just read your other reply *retard!*

Last edited:
Back