Technical 500 Twinair - annual oil change?

Currently reading:
Technical 500 Twinair - annual oil change?

Not trying to cause a fight, just trying to show how any advice other than to use the right grade of oil, change it as often or more often than the manufacturers asks and to not use a flush, is somewhat pointless and can't actually be proven.

No disrespect Maxi but I thought you might see the humour in this.:devil:

Attachments

• IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
I just bought a new 500C TwinAir Lounge and I'm thinking I'll most likely only clock up 5000km/year or less -- i.e. very low mileage. Mostly short 15-20 minute trips at suburban speeds, so the engine will get stressed I guess.

Does anybody think a half-yearly oil change interval would be worthwhile for this kind of situation, or should I just stick to the official yearly service?

I'm most likely going to keep the car for about 5-6 years.

I just bought a new 500C TwinAir Lounge and I'm thinking I'll most likely only clock up 5000km/year or less -- i.e. very low mileage. Mostly short 15-20 minute trips at suburban speeds, so the engine will get stressed I guess.

Does anybody think a half-yearly oil change interval would be worthwhile for this kind of situation, or should I just stick to the official yearly service?

From everything you've said, I'd say once a year would be fine. The only thing I'd do differently is to bring the first service forward & do it at 6 months (it'll only be an oil change), and then service it annually after that.

If i were you i'd just change the oil when it turns black = ) and keep it topped up otherwise with that kind of mileage. There would be no problems after only 5-6 years with this type of regimen = )

(awaiting maxi and kirching to call me crazy for recommending this)

Last edited:

Ahmett, my friend, your thoughts on driving and servicing are in a class of their own :rolleyes:.

And if I am ever in need of anyone to carry out accelerated lifecycle testing on anything, your name will be at the top of my list ;).

But when I think of you, I think of someone who's determined to get as much fun out of their car as possible :). And that, at the end of the day, is what life is all about.

Last edited:
If i were you i'd just change the oil when it turns black = ) and keep it topped up otherwise with that kind of mileage. There would be no problems after only 5-6 years with this type of regimen = )

And The Twins... You are crazy for recommending this Ahmett! ; )

I'm only going to get mine changed every two years, as recommended, and that's a Diesel :eek:

Once it was every three thousand miles, now two years or 18K seems to be common. Yes, fleets like it, bit also oils and metals have improved no end, but I will also get it serviced by Fiat.

I am also putting winter tyres on this year, since the lowish profile summer ones that cars now seem to come with were totally useless in February.

So a little saved here and a little spent there - and so it goes on. Cars cost money: period.

Wtf? My dealership did my oil changes when i asked, not when they thought they should.

A Fiat/Alfa dealer told my mate (who has a Mito) that he would invalidate his warranty if he had the oil/filter changed more often than on the schedule - even tho he was asking them to do it!!! Idiots.

Having an oil change earlier than the service intervals doesn't invalidate a warranty though does it :-/

I've just picked up my new 500TA yesterday (pics will come when I take some) and I was thinking I will probably do a basic oil change after a few thousand miles. Don't like the idea of going 18k on the first lot of oil.

Back