General 4x4 squealing rear brakes

Currently reading:
General 4x4 squealing rear brakes

Just an update, my dealer phoned me this morning to say the damper kit had arrived but on opening the box the kit only contains parts for one side which has left them a bit perplexed. They have now ordered a second kit so they can do the other side tomorrow morning, seems like Fiat want to make process as difficult as possible. They also told me that they have had another 4x4 in this morning with the same problem so have ordered two kits for this vehicle as well.

Just an update, my dealer phoned me this morning to say the damper kit had arrived but on opening the box the kit only contains parts for one side which has left them a bit perplexed. They have now ordered a second kit so they can do the other side tomorrow morning, seems like Fiat want to make process as difficult as possible. They also told me that they have had another 4x4 in this morning with the same problem so have ordered two kits for this vehicle as well.

Maybe you could ask them to take a pic of it with their phone to show everyone on here what it looks like, to help all the others who have the same problem but whose dealer is less capable.

Yes - Fiat are definately trying to make it difficult - probably hoping that the customer will either -

1 - Prefer to spend £30 on decent aftermarket brake pads than lose a days wages to do the "inspection" and another days wages for the "fix".

2 - Accept the tired old "They all do that Sir"

3 - Accept the "We took the brakes apart and cleaned them"

4 - Just get fed up trying !!

I explained the whole thing on the phone including the Fiat acknowledged fix. They insisted on me coming in to have them inspected BEFORE they could order the part.

I went in this morning. Noise not happening. Gave them a very assertive talking to about not wanting any fobbing off, any "brake cleaning" etc and ONLY wanting the official Fiat "KIT" installed.

Guess what - 1 hour later - they admitted they heard no noise but Fiat HQ agreed to send out the kit anyway.

Why could this not have been done on the phone ? Easy - waste my time hoping I would give up or be unable to take time off work.

So, part ordered and booked in next Fri for fitting. I will not be leaving the premises without the part being itemised on the invoice !!!

We WILL get a part number to publish here :mad:

In case it helps here's the work sheet for my 1st year service. It's a bit vague and no part numbers mentioned but it might help someone. It's due for the fix on 2nd Feb so I'll see if I get a more detailed work sheet then unless someone gets there first.

M ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1453471057.223229.jpg

My car is still in with the dealer, only had it a week for a faulty alternator and squeaky brakes.......maybe Monday will bring news......assuming they ordered a damper kit for both sides!

It really should be so simple for Fiat to sort this. The way they communicate with their dealers must be so backward. Either that or half the dealers don't read the bulletins.

I can't believe that such a simple & known-fault takes such a lot of effort to get resolved. It's the way things like this are handled that separate the best companies from the worst.

And why are Fiat so secretive over the part numbers? Jeez! :(

The Turkish dealer network wasn't issued a bulletin, so basically Fiat haven't issued a service bulletin, but are only dealing with the issue on a per-complaint basis.

I think that's a very Italian/mediterranean way of doing things, but then again, par for the course.

Collected Panda today, paperwork just shows alternator replaced and new dampers fitted to rear brakes. Fiat really don't want to let anyone know the part or Tech bulletin numbers by the look of things. I'll be using the car for work over next 3 days so will report if the squealing brakes are resolved. My only advice to others with the rear brake issue is to insist the dealer raises a request with Fiat Technical, don't just accept a strip down and clean by the dealer themselves.

I got a call back from the Turkish dealer, there apparently is a service bulletin for this issue, and I'll see if I can coax the bulletin serial number from the service technician when I go to pick the car up tomorrow. As per the bulletin, my 4x4 is getting a rear disk brake caliper damper kit, being shipped in from Italy so nobody knows when the parts will be in for fitting.

In the meantime, I had complained of a squeaking noise with the fan set to the second "propeller" position and they've replaced the whole heater core and fan assembly, and the rear window washer wasn't squirting any fluid which has also apparently been fixed. All of this has been covered under the extended warranty I purchased (it seems only UK buyers received a free 3rd year of warranty coverage).

Fingers crossed on the bulletin info, and I'll write back tomorrow if I get anything.

All of this has been covered under the extended warranty I purchased (it seems only UK buyers received a free 3rd year of warranty coverage).

In the UK we get two years manufacturers warranty and a years dealer warranty.

From past experience, it means two years arguing with Fiat UK (and the dealer) and one year just arguing with the dealer!

But saying that, over the last few years Fiat UK and the dealers seemed to have upped their games, a bit.
Probably because of certain laws changing, but it's a start.

BTW, my front brakes are goaning a bit again, probably due to dirt and salt.
When the weather gets better that lot are coming off and Pagid discs and pads are getting fitted.

Last edited:
Here is the file the service technician gave me. It's in Italian, of course, but there's a part number at the bottom for the damper kit which should help anyone having trouble getting the dealers to order it.

Top man.

Here is the translation:-

OPERATING CYCLE
Place the car on a lift, then lift it, operating on the rear of the car
do the following:
NOTE operations are described on the left side; the right side are mirror.
• Unscrew and remove the screw fixing the lower caliper disc brakes (1 - Fig.1).
• Make sure the hole is clean and there are no residues of adhesive substances and / or thread lock.
Fig. 1

• Withdraw 2 Parts Kit No. 52025558 (one per side) each containing a mass damping
(A - Fig. 2) and the fastening screw with double thread (B - Fig. 2)
Fig. 2
With a 13 mm wrench tighten the hanger bolt (B - Fig. 2) on the lower fixing brake caliper
disc (1 - Figure 3) and tighten to 3.45 ± 0.35 m.daN.
Fig. 3

• Screw the damping mass (1 - Figure 4) on the threaded shank of the hanger bolt; with a
30 Torx wrench tighten to 0.8 ± 0.1 m.daN.
Fig. 4

• Rotate and close the cap para powder (1 - Fig. 5)
• Repeat the same operation on the other side.
• Lower the car and remove it from the lift.
Fig. 5

PARTS AVAILABILITY
Version Description Order No. Q. ty
T. T. concerned Kit mass damping 52025558 2

I provided my dealer with the detail kindly provided by our Turkish friend(y)

They still say there's no TSB. The only brake related TSB is to do with erroneous ESC warning lights:confused:

Not sure where to go now(n)

Slip under your car and take a shot of your caliper bottom bolt and then copy the image from PDF with the fat-head damper bolt and ask them to kindly pick the bones out of that. Perhaps copy FIAT on the mail.

Back