Technical 3.0l Gearbox oil change

Currently reading:
Technical 3.0l Gearbox oil change

jonseddon

I have a Hobby Motorhome on Ducato base with a 3.0 litre Diesel engine. It was built in 2011, however, I think the engine is earlier maybe 2008 Euro 4?

I wanted to see if I could change the gearbox oil but for the life of me I cannot see a drain or fill plug

See the picture

Were some models sealed for life - it’s 6 speed

1C19D5DE-786C-42CE-B39E-7C62ADBACE64.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Hobby Motorhome on Ducato base with a 3.0 litre Diesel engine. It was built in 2011, however, I think the engine is earlier maybe 2008 Euro 4?

I wanted to see if I could change the gearbox oil but for the life of me I cannot see a drain or fill plug

See the picture

Were some models sealed for life - it’s 6 speed

View attachment 219704
Bottom right hand corner in your photo looks like drain plug.

Gearbox oil change using correct oil and volume wont hurt.

Though there are no signs of oil leaks in photo so unless leaks elsewhere level likely correct .

How many miles covered?

Last edited:
Bottom right hand corner in your photo looks like drain plug.

Gearbox oil change using correct oil and volume wont hurt.

Though there are no signs of oil leaks in photo so unless leaks elsewhere level likely correct .

How many miles covered?
How can I be so thick, now just need to find filler lol

How can I be so thick, now just need to find filler lol
It’s done c40,000. Just changed the engine oil and filter. It took 8 litres and I think true 2011 models take 9 litres?

Whoever had put on the sump plug and filter must have used super strength, had to use a breaker bar on the filter.

Remove air filter cover and air filter then look over the top of air filter container to the gearbox and you will see the filler plug. Their is no dipstick so only fill with the correct quantity, 2.9 lts I think.

Mike

Attachments

• Inked3.0gearbox_LI.jpg
    Inked3.0gearbox_LI.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 507
Remove air filter cover and air filter then look over the top of air filter container to the gearbox and you will see the filler plug. Their is no dipstick so only fill with the correct quantity, 2.9 lts I think.

Mike

Thanks Mike, now I’ve got to work out how to take off the air filter body, lol

Just undo the 6 screws holding the air filter lid on, lift that clear then lift out the air filter, this gives you enough room to reach over the top for the filler plug.

if you haven't got a pump then use a funnel and a tube that fits into the filler hole to refill the oil.

Mike

Back